Question CPU voltage and temperature vary wildly

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi, The temperature and core voltage of the CPU are varying wildly whenI look at them in Ryzen Master. The motherboard is an Asrock A320M-HDV, the CPU is a ryzen 3 2200g.

These compnents are second hand and there was a little thermal paste on and around a couple of pins on the CPU. I got most of it off before I installed the CPU.

Is it possible that a little remaining paste is causing the issue or could it be something else more fundamental.

Regards Steve

Hi, The temperature and core voltage of the CPU are varying wildly whenI look at them in Ryzen Master. The motherboard is an Asrock A320M-HDV, the CPU is a ryzen 3 2200g.

These compnents are second hand and there was a little thermal paste on and around a couple of pins on the CPU. I got most of it off before I installed the CPU.

Is it possible that a little remaining paste is causing the issue or could it be something else more fundamental.

Regards Steve
You're probably just noticing the effects of boosting.

Ryzen CPU's boost single cores pretty agressively to a very high boost frequency then pretty quickly ramp it back down until it gets to a sustainable frequency or the processing load is retired. That high boost will be reflected as a high temperature in that one core since it also raises core voltage for stability. It's especially pronounced in the new Zen2 CPU's, but even Zen and Zen+ do it just not nearly as fast or often...Zen2 does it in 1ms intervals.

Thermal paste around the pins isn't a cause for concern. It's far more common than you realize.

I wouldn't worry about seeing high temp unless it's sustained or really high, and especially really high AND sustained. What temp are you getting to? and does it ever like boost up then ramp down at idle? Or does it stay at the temp constantly?

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
You're probably just noticing the effects of boosting.

Ryzen CPU's boost single cores pretty agressively to a very high boost frequency then pretty quickly ramp it back down until it gets to a sustainable frequency or the processing load is retired. That high boost will be reflected as a high temperature in that one core since it also raises core voltage for stability. It's especially pronounced in the new Zen2 CPU's, but even Zen and Zen+ do it just not nearly as fast or often...Zen2 does it in 1ms intervals.

Thermal paste around the pins isn't a cause for concern. It's far more common than you realize.

I wouldn't worry about seeing high temp unless it's sustained or really high, and especially really high AND sustained. What temp are you getting to? and does it ever like boost up then ramp down at idle? Or does it stay at the temp constantly?

Hi,
Looking at Risen Master the frequency of the CPU cores keep varying along with the voltage. That's even when apparantly nothing is being done on the computer which I suppose is idle. The changes in frequency voltage and temperature occur very quickly. The highest temperature I have seen is 60C. I know that's not too hot in general I'm just surprised by the variability and that it's happening when 'nothings going on'.

My other PC which has a ryzen 1500x stays static at the same frequency temperature and voltage as long as nothing is being done on the computer.

Steve

The system's not really idle when you think it is. Just moving the mouse will make it kick up activity, start boosting and report higher temperature. Dismiss anything you can that's running in the system tray...Steam and iCue can keep be bad for instance, and especially any motherboard apps.

Last: if you're using the Wraith cooler consider upgrading to a better one. The bundled Wraithe works well enough but if you really want lower temperatures it's not the best.

Oct 4, 2019
It honestly depends on how much the frequency and voltages are variable. If they are going beyond the stock ratings without modification it's a cause for concern. This can cause a system crash (Not saying this will happen, but it's possible and does happen). If you have stock settings in ryzen master and haven't tried to overclock and it's varying it's most likely the boost clock. The maximum boost for this processor is 3.7GHz without overclocking and the voltage will be increased at times when the boost clock is enabled. Processors also will throttle down to below their standard advertised frequency at times of idle usage. When it's idling is when your CPU should becoming cooled more effectively, as it not having as much load or processing. As to the thermal paste, using an excess amount and the paste being globbed between the heat sink and processor it can generate some extra heat, but not enough for you to notice too much. Could you notate your readings from HWinfo or Ryzen master? That way we can see better what the problem may be. Hopefully this will help.