Question CPU voltage is over 2.676v on motherboard sensors, but normal voltage in CPU-Z ?

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
I have an error after changing thermal paste on CPU. it says at post - error CPU voltage error press f1 for setup. In my Bios menu (rog strix bios) the CPU voltage says 2.765v .. but when i boot into windows and stress test the CPU the temps are fine and the voltage never exceeds 1.500v in CPU-Z. what do you think could be happening?

ive tried clearing the CMOS (remove battery, unplug etc). the system runs stable and as it should regardless.

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
Have you checked the cpu and cpu slot for any thermal paste that might have dropped or leaked onto them?

Cheers for the reply!
Yeah I checked it all thoroughly. I suspected something like a stray hair, so inspected the cpu and socket.

It's been a days usage and the temps on the CPU are still fine. In HWmonitor the voltage for the CPU under the CPU row is normal (1.5v max), but the motherboard sensors in HWmonitor are saying the CPU is at 2.654v.

I think this is some glitch throwingnout incorrect mobo readings surely?
It's a head scratcher.

Cheers for the reply!
Yeah I checked it all thoroughly. I suspected something like a stray hair, so inspected the cpu and socket.

It's been a days usage and the temps on the CPU are still fine. In HWmonitor the voltage for the CPU under the CPU row is normal (1.5v max), but the motherboard sensors in HWmonitor are saying the CPU is at 2.654v.

I think this is some glitch throwingnout incorrect mobo readings surely?
It's a head scratcher.
What are your system specs? motherboard, cpu especially but others may be helpful.

I'm not sure I'd just call it a system glitch and leave it at that. The CPUz reading may showing the voltage the CPU is asking for while HWMonitor is showing what the sensor says the VRM is putting out. Neither may be what the CPU is actually receiving, neither seems entirely right in your scenario.

Whatever's happened it's certainly true a CPU can't last long overvolted that far and that makes it worth finding out what went wrong if at all possible just to be sure. If it were my system I'd open it up and measure the actual voltage on one of the VRM's filter capacitors and on the back side of CPU socket on the motherboard with a voltmeter before I'd accept it as OK.

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
What are your system specs? motherboard, cpu especially but others may be helpful.

I'm not sure I'd just call it a system glitch and leave it at that. The CPUz reading may showing the voltage the CPU is asking for while HWMonitor is showing what the sensor says the VRM is putting out. Neither may be what the CPU is actually receiving, neither seems entirely right in your scenario.

Whatever's happened it's certainly true a CPU can't last long overvolted that far and that makes it worth finding out what went wrong if at all possible just to be sure. If it were my system I'd open it up and measure the actual voltage on one of the VRM's filter capacitors and on the back side of CPU socket on the motherboard with a voltmeter before I'd accept it as OK.

What could I upload picture wise to help? Il tale some pictures and upload them for you to have a gander. It's a really confusing one as my CPU is running so cool, like 55c when stressed and the games are running better than ever too. This truly is a riddle.
I'm afraid I don't have access to a voltmeter.

My specs:

Rog strix B450 gaming plus II mobo
Ryzen 7 5800x
Zotac amp RTX 2080ti 11gb
Corsair vengeance PRO DDR4 16gb RAM
Corsair 650w 80+ gold modular psu.
3tb samsubg evo m.2 SSD storage

What could I upload picture wise to help? ...
I'm not sure a picture would be helpful.

One thing to do is reset CMOS. Whenever experiencing problems of this nature it's a good first step anyway.

Another thing I'd do is download HWInfo64 as it's probably the most reliable monitoring software for Ryzen.

Open it's Sensors screen and look for a "CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN)" sensor in a CPU section. That's the voltage the CPU reports it should be getting at it's processing cores and can vary considerably as the processor boosts cores quite frequently. It should be mostly in the 1.0v up to 1.5V range depending on how it's being used.

Look also for a motherboard section and a "Vcore" sensor, that's most likely the actual output of the VRM itself and should be only slightly higher than the SVI2 TFN voltage, not usually more than 100mV higher and then only when the processor is heavily loaded on all cores.

Last edited: