Question CPU Voltage never what I set it to in BIOS

zunbaybee

Prominent
Sep 12, 2019
So I've been tinkering aorund with the bios settings and I've been leaving it on auto CPU Voltage for the past week, sitting at 1.280Vcore at idle and 1.224Vcore at load. Running a 10700k @ 5Ghz with a 0 AVX offset and it seems to be stable, but the VID readings have always been around 1.432V. I don't understand why is it that even when I change CPU voltage to manual instead of auto, and set a value of 1.3, it always shows 1.1 in every voltage monitoring software I've used. (crashes under load while using auto voltaeg doesn't.) Even when changing llc to level 5 or 6 it still stays at 1.1 with a manual voltage. The bios doesn't come with a svid support option so I've stuck with typical scenario since putting it on best scenario would crash my system.

TLDR: Manual voltage doesn't work (setting 1.3 in bios would give me readings of around 1.1V in monitoring software) Auto voltage would give me 1.28V (and would work)

MOBO: Asus Prime z490m-plus

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Often times you'll see that the voltage, when inadequate, will cause instability and reboots or freezes. When you up the voltage, you will regain the stability in your system. It's for this reason why we cross-reference values across the board and app's to give us an indication of what kind of power is being fed to our components.

Intel's platform has been notorius for drawing more power than advertised which is why at bootup it might look less but in reality when it's going into GUI, the voltage will creep up.

See if keying in the voltage a little more at a time until you reach stability helps or try the highest value you noticed at AUTO and then work your way down until you see instability hit the system again. That being said, which BIOS version are you currently working with?

zunbaybee

Prominent
Sep 12, 2019
The max voltage auto gives me is 1.28 V on idle but drops to 1.224V on load and i've tried inputting the same exact value of 1.28 as manual voltage, but that still gave me results lower than 1.2 as low as 1.11~. BIOS Version is 0321, 21/02/2020.