CPU Voltage Problem - Desperate need of help!

JonathanEnger

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hey everyone!

I am not an expert PC user by any means. I had a stock HP computer with an Alvorix RS880 Mobo with a AMD X4 640 Processor and 4gb of DDR3. Since then I have added a GTX560 and a Corsair 700W Power supply. Everything else has been kept the same. I recently looked at CPU-Z and the CPUID Monitor and it shows my voltage at 2.20V!!! I found that the factory voltage is about 1.3 for this CPU. Weird thing is, my temps are all fine. The processor idles around 40C It never goes above 60C ever, even under intense games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim etc. I also have NEVER ever overclocked or even attempted an overclock.

So first off, what caused this high voltage and how do I get it lower? Secondly, are these readings accurate due to my low temp readings? I always thought high volts meant high temps?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

Jonathan

Solution

It's possible, software is not fully accurate in reporting temps most of the time.

2.2v is an insane amount of voltage to have going through a CPU, so you would most certainly experiance problematic temps or thermal shutdown/software issues. But if you are not experncing those and your temps seem resonable then i'd go with what AMD Overdrive is reporting.

JonathanEnger

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I just downloaded AMD Overdrive and it tells me my voltage is at 1.275? Is this just the CPU ID faulty software telling me wrong voltages? I tend to trust AMD's program as its an AMD processor...

CDdude55

Distinguished

It's possible, software is not fully accurate in reporting temps most of the time.

2.2v is an insane amount of voltage to have going through a CPU, so you would most certainly experiance problematic temps or thermal shutdown/software issues. But if you are not experncing those and your temps seem resonable then i'd go with what AMD Overdrive is reporting.

Solution

JonathanEnger

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks guys I figured this was the case. I found a few more issues with CPU-Z and HW Monitor showing incorrect voltages. I have run this set up for 6 months under heavy use and never experienced any problems whatsoever with software or hardware. Thanks again, now I can sleep easy! ;)