[SOLVED] Cpu voltage

Jan 16, 2021
I have the Ryzen 5 3500 and for some reason my cpu temp was spiking +10c then it would go back down to the temp it was on. In the control panel the power option was on high performance and the maximum and minimum to 99%. So I don’t know why it happened. I download Ryzen master so I can lower the voltage for the cpu. I set the voltage to 1.05 V and In bumped my core speed by 100mhz to 3.7ghz. I just wanna know is 1.05 V a safe voltage for gaming at 3.7ghz core speed for my cpu?

Solution
You have stock cooling, you don't overclock. You have an OEM configuration, you don't overclock. It's as simple as that.

You want to overclock? You buy aftermarket enthusiast hardware. Aftermarket case, aftermarket cooling (CPU cooler, case fans, etc.). Not doing so will almost certainly result in either quick or eventual damage to your CPU, or performance issues, because what you have simply can't realistically keep up with the demands of an overclocked configuration. I would highly recommend that you return all settings to the default options and then reset the BIOS to it's default settings if you've made any overclocking specific changes there.

If you want to overclock, you pay for the right to do that by buying the kind of...
You don't need to be making changes to the CPU voltage. The CPU voltage should be automatically controlled by Auto setting and you should LEAVE it that way. Unless you are an experienced overclocker and you know what you are doing AND why, there is no reason, at all, ever, to make changes to the CPU core voltage.

Set it back to auto and then don't mess with it again.

As far as the CPU temperature, what was the ACTUAL temperature it was maxing out at? It doesn't matter if it goes up and down by ten degrees, that's entirely normal. Ryzen CPUs (All CPUs really, but Ryzen especially) are VERY "cyclic" in that they cycle up and down quite a lot, especially with the stock cooler. Right up front you need to know that the stock coolers aren't very good, in fact, I say they are not good enough for any CPU they come with. Using a Wraith cooler meant for a CPU one tier up, is ok, but using the coolers they come with is just not satisfactory except maybe on the Ryzen 3 models.

I always recommend getting a better cooler for any Ryzen 5, 7 or 9 CPU.

For the Windows power plan settings, you NEED to go to the AMD website, get the latest chipset driver for your motherboard chipset version (B450, X470, X570, etc.) and install it. Then, go into the Windows power options and set the plan to Ryzen balanced. That is how 99% of Ryzen platforms should be configured.

If you're going to configure the power plan manually, which I don't recommend on Ryzen, then you should set it to the performance plan but set the minimum processor power state to 8% and make sure the max processor power state is set to 100%. Using Ryzen balanced is a much wiser idea though.

Also, in the BIOS, make sure you have ALL of these set as follows:

Cool N Quiet - Enabled (If this setting is not available in your BIOS, just worry about the rest)

Core CPPC - Enabled

CPPC preferred cores - Enabled

Advanced/Global C-states - Enabled

Precision boost overdrive (PBO/PBO2) - Disabled (Unless you have high end cooling installed. Also, standard boost profiles like Precision boost (Non-overdrive) and XFR2 should be left enabled.)

Jan 16, 2021
You don't need to be making changes to the CPU voltage. The CPU voltage should be automatically controlled by Auto setting and you should LEAVE it that way. Unless you are an experienced overclocker and you know what you are doing AND why, there is no reason, at all, ever, to make changes to the CPU core voltage.

Set it back to auto and then don't mess with it again.

As far as the CPU temperature, what was the ACTUAL temperature it was maxing out at? It doesn't matter if it goes up and down by ten degrees, that's entirely normal. Ryzen CPUs (All CPUs really, but Ryzen especially) are VERY "cyclic" in that they cycle up and down quite a lot, especially with the stock cooler. Right up front you need to know that the stock coolers aren't very good, in fact, I say they are not good enough for any CPU they come with. Using a Wraith cooler meant for a CPU one tier up, is ok, but using the coolers they come with is just not satisfactory except maybe on the Ryzen 3 models.

I always recommend getting a better cooler for any Ryzen 5, 7 or 9 CPU.

For the Windows power plan settings, you NEED to go to the AMD website, get the latest chipset driver for your motherboard chipset version (B450, X470, X570, etc.) and install it. Then, go into the Windows power options and set the plan to Ryzen balanced. That is how 99% of Ryzen platforms should be configured.

If you're going to configure the power plan manually, which I don't recommend on Ryzen, then you should set it to the performance plan but set the minimum processor power state to 8% and make sure the max processor power state is set to 100%. Using Ryzen balanced is a much wiser idea though.

Also, in the BIOS, make sure you have ALL of these set as follows:

Cool N Quiet - Enabled (If this setting is not available in your BIOS, just worry about the rest)

Core CPPC - Enabled

CPPC preferred cores - Enabled

Advanced/Global C-states - Enabled

Precision boost overdrive (PBO/PBO2) - Disabled (Unless you have high end cooling installed. Also, standard boost profiles like Precision boost (Non-overdrive) and XFR2 should be left enabled.)
Well I turned my speed up to 3.7ghz but I’m manual mode I can’t put the voltage on auto it says I have to set it.

Jan 16, 2021
Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler?
I have a good rebuilt from hp do I wouldn’t know. My processor goes up to 4.0ghz when I set the maximum and minimum to 100 in the power options in control panel and then the temp starts to spike high but when I set them to 99% it became stable at 3.5ghz. The only reason I downloaded Ryzen master is to change the speed to 3.7 ghz but it said I had to set a voltage and it said I couldn’t use auto in basic mode.

I have a good rebuilt from hp do I wouldn’t know. My processor goes up to 4.0ghz when I set the maximum and minimum to 100 in the power options in control panel and then the temp starts to spike high but when I set them to 99% it became stable at 3.5ghz. The only reason I downloaded Ryzen master is to change the speed to 3.7 ghz but it said I had to set a voltage and it said I couldn’t use auto in basic mode.
I'm surprised how many buy a good system and than cripple it in name of low voltage and temps. Those are factory set for each CPU and components, just have to follow them.
Just don't use any software, set whatever you want in BIOS.
If you set maximum processor state in Power Plan to 99%, maximum boost is disabled and it allows only CPU's base speed as maximum. That contradicts anything set in BIOS or otherwise. Lower performance limits it to even lower boost.
1.05v is more than safe but 1.325 (under full load) is just as safe. No use crippling performance just to keep voltage low. Ryzen is not Intel and has own set of rules.
The key for Ryzen auto boost performance is keeping temperature under 70c, If and when you achieve that, you won. Unfortunately that usually means using an aftermarket cooler but it's well worth it.
Another popular "fix" is to set some (0.5- 0.1v) negative voltage offset for CPU when using auto voltage.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
You have stock cooling, you don't overclock. You have an OEM configuration, you don't overclock. It's as simple as that.

You want to overclock? You buy aftermarket enthusiast hardware. Aftermarket case, aftermarket cooling (CPU cooler, case fans, etc.). Not doing so will almost certainly result in either quick or eventual damage to your CPU, or performance issues, because what you have simply can't realistically keep up with the demands of an overclocked configuration. I would highly recommend that you return all settings to the default options and then reset the BIOS to it's default settings if you've made any overclocking specific changes there.

If you want to overclock, you pay for the right to do that by buying the kind of hardware you can do it with without either damaging something or causing major performance issues.

Regardless of what anybody might tell you, it is NEVER a good idea to overclock on stock or factory hardware. If you only "overclock a little" like some people claim, then you aren't getting a gain worth even bothering with and if you are getting a gain that IS enough to be bothering with you are exceeding the capability of the hardware to keep it cool and stable. It's really that simple.

Solution