[SOLVED] cpu vrm fried when i tried to turn on motherboard without cpu

dgagan

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
hey guys few days back when i tried to boot my pc it did'nt even post. so i was trying to figure out what was casing it. first i checked psu and it was ok. than i start removing every component of pc one by one and after removing a component i press power button. i repeat this process untill only cpu was left inside motherboard. so in next step i removed cpu and press the power button. in no time vrm mosfet near 8 pin cpu connector start burning. ( forget to mention before doing all this when i try to boot pc without plugging 8 pin cpu connector. at least lights on mobo glows and fan was spinning )
my question is that why vrm not burned when cpu was in the socket and what cause it to burn after removing cpu.
a smart guy on linus fourm told me that my cpu was bad which cause it
specs
r5 3600
msi b450 pro vdh max
rtx 2060
16gb 3200mhz ram
650watt psu

Solution
Yes it sounds like bad VRM or capacitor, or a short-circuit somewhere, on old motherboard the motherboard would simply emit a beep if no CPU is present. On some modern motherboard you even can power on and update the Bios without a CPU.
Yes it sounds like bad VRM or capacitor, or a short-circuit somewhere, on old motherboard the motherboard would simply emit a beep if no CPU is present. On some modern motherboard you even can power on and update the Bios without a CPU.

Reactions: dgagan
Solution

dgagan

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
thanks yes the light i was talking about was the debug lights

dgagan

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
one question if in this process if my cpu get shorted will it be good idea to check that cpu in another motherboard can the cpu damage new motherboard