CPU vs GPU demonstration

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
The subject of upgrading CPU vs GPU for gaming has come up a lot.

As someone who upgraded from a Phenom X6 to a 2600k, I have been advising people with decent AMD builds to spend money on GPU upgrades rather than CPU upgrades. (Particularly at sane resolutions on single monitors)

This is because the improvement I saw when I upgraded from my Phenom X6 @ 3.4 to the 2600k @ 4Ghz was not worth the money spent.

For this demonstration, I simply moved my two GTX 560's between the two rigs and used Afterburner to record game play from the same level, on the same settings.

There are a lot of graphs and charts on the matter, but this is what the difference actually looks like when playing a GPU intensive game @ 1680 X 1050, maxed out:

http://youtu.be/vbGUfaPg-Vo

There is a difference, but it's minimal. -Not worth the ~$400 spent to upgrade, IMHO.

BF3, a purported CPU intensive game:

http://youtu.be/DD3ucbL1B7w

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

Apparently, it doesn't have to be. (At least not for GPU intensive games)

Render times for my HD movies fell by <10% IIRC. That's an improvement, yes. But not worth ~$400.

there isnt a 400 dollar difference.
you wasted your money getting the 2600k if you got it for gaming, you should have went with a 2500k
the price difference between a 2500k system and a comparable amd system is negligible when considering the performance difference. in SOME games, yes the primary load is on the gpu therefore wont need as fast of a cpu, but there is a huge difference in the performance between a 1055T and a 2600K.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

That's the point of this thread. The $400 reference is only in regards to upgrading an existing (decent) AMD rig.

The price difference from scratch is actually worth going Intel when an i5 or i7 is within reach. (Sometimes the i3 is even cost effective. Although AMD's 6300 is competitive in that price range)

I got it on sale and thought it was a good time to upgrade since the 2600k was "so much faster" than the phenom. I actually wanted it to lower render times with quick sync but the difference was minimal. I expected to see that "huge" difference in video rendering, but it wasn't there either. (because Cuda, already does a good job at accelerating rendering)

And yes, it was a waist of money, for the small boost in gaming and rendering performance I saw.

I'm trying to visually quantify the improvement so that others can decide if it's a worthy upgrade when they already have money invested in a good AMD rig.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

"Crysis 2 is GPU dependent"

What? Are you going to claim BF3 is GPU dependent now? :sarcastic:

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

I have gone "heads up" on CPU rendering (disabled hardware acceleration on both rigs).

The i7 is indeed faster. It's just not $400 faster.

And without the i7's hyperthreading, it's probably a wash between the i5 and the X6 when it comes to CPU rendering. I thought I saw some Cinebench 11.5 multi-thread numbers that showed as much. (and that was vs ivy bridge)

I'm not trying to say that Intel isn't generally better than AMD. I'm simply giving people an idea of what "better" looks like when gaming so that they can decide if it's worth the money to upgrade from a decent AMD system to Intel.