CPU Vs GPU upgrade for faster video encoding with Powerdirector

Sep 7, 2018
I'm looking for advice on how to speed up video export from powerdirector. I currently have a i5 4460, 16 GB ram and a 1050ti. I'm using powerdirector to edit, and upscale files (about 3 hours 250gb) from 1080p 30 FPS to 4k 60 FPS. The export time is absolutely epic and I want to cut this down.

I can get my hands on a 4790k, how much will this cut the time down by.
Or do I really need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a 8700k? Will there be a massive difference?

Or should I just get an epic GPU like a 1080ti or something?

Obviously in an ideal world if love to just upgrade everything however I'm looking for best bang for my buck short term if you get me.

Any advice would be most appreciated, the machine is left alone to do its work so I don't care about multitasking really.
Thanks

Solution
you want a fast CPU with a lot of cores and threads. Video encoding is done on the CPU cores....therefore as more you have, the better for video encoding. If you do a lot of video encoding you might look into the AMD Ryzen processors. A better video card will not improve you video encoding.The 8700k will improve it as well, but it only has 6 cores/12 threads. Still a great improvement from what you have right now. And it's the fastest gaming CPU. But if you look mainly for encoding you get a bigger bang for the buck (a lot of cores) with the Ryzens....

mjbn1977

Distinguished
you want a fast CPU with a lot of cores and threads. Video encoding is done on the CPU cores....therefore as more you have, the better for video encoding. If you do a lot of video encoding you might look into the AMD Ryzen processors. A better video card will not improve you video encoding.The 8700k will improve it as well, but it only has 6 cores/12 threads. Still a great improvement from what you have right now. And it's the fastest gaming CPU. But if you look mainly for encoding you get a bigger bang for the buck (a lot of cores) with the Ryzens....

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Video encoding is done on the CPU cores

Not always. If the software supports GPU acceleration of some sort, then having a strong GPU can be the way to go. GPUs can be really good at doing this. You need to have software that supports it however.

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-movie-editor/compare-versions_en_US.html?affid=2581_1299_540

I see several things about GPU acceleration such as "OpenCL support" (AMD GPUs) and "nVidia & Intel H.265 (HEVC) Hardware Encoding" Meaning it might support either camp depending on what you want to do. This is the newest version however, version 16. I don't know which version you have. You should look up your version and see what gains can be had from which camp.