[SOLVED] CPU vs GPU upgrade

Dec 23, 2019
Hi guys,

I prebought a gaming system (shame me please) as I didn't have much time on my hands to build one in the last few months. I'm now looking to start upgrading bits and pieces of the system.

I am currently stuck on whether to upgrade the CPU or GPU first.

Specs are
Intel Core i5 9400F Processor,
MSI B365M PRO-VH Motherboard,
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Ventus XS OC 4GB graphics card

500W PSU

I usually play BF1 on medium to low settings, mainly for competitive advantage but my FPS typically sits around 100 but does tend to bounce down to 70 with alot of visual load. Would my GPU or CPU be holding my FPS back? Since both are fairly middle of the road, I can't figure out which would be more effective to upgrade first.

My other question is about power and cooling. If I was to upgrade the CPU, would 500w still be enough to handle my system and would I need to upgrade my cooling fan (It is just a generic CPU cooler as far as I'm aware).

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Solution
How much RAM do you have?Do you have an SSD?
Battlefield games have always been problematic and always have somewhat inconsistent FPS.
If RAM is low the game will start using the disk as pagefile so a lot of ram and a fast disk are basic things you should have.
Battlefield games have always been problematic and always have somewhat inconsistent FPS.
If RAM is low the game will start using the disk as pagefile so a lot of ram and a fast disk are basic things you should have.

Solution
Dec 23, 2019
Hi!

Yes 16gb of RAM and a 250 ssd that I run most things off and keep at least 50g free

TRENDING THREADS