Question CPU vs RAM - what needs to be upgraded?

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Hello,

I have a pure working PC and I have a bunch of different Windows 10 programs open that both use a lot of CPU and RAM. From a bunch of different browser tabs, to different .exe running, etc.

Once I have all programs open for work my PC starts to slow down and starts lagging. Obviously, it is overworking. But what exactly is the issue? Does it take too much CPU or RAM and what is the difference? What if I have 8 GB ram but a high end CPU or a cheap CPU but 64gb ram? Do I need to have both components upgraded so that it doesnt happen anymore? How do I figure that out?

Thank you!

Hello,

I have a pure working PC and I have a bunch of different Windows 10 programs open that both use a lot of CPU and RAM. From a bunch of different browser tabs, to different .exe running, etc.

Once I have all programs open for work my PC starts to slow down and starts lagging. Obviously, it is overworking. But what exactly is the issue? Does it take too much CPU or RAM and what is the difference? What if I have 8 GB ram but a high end CPU or a cheap CPU but 64gb ram? Do I need to have both components upgraded so that it doesnt happen anymore? How do I figure that out?

Thank you!

For Heavy Multitasking you need more RAM.
The issue is usually the paging file system quota where you run out of RAM and the system has to write back and forth to Disk.
An SSD can also help however more RAM is the solution.
A 2400Mhz kit of (2x16) would be sufficient for heavy multitasking as you described.

Last edited:

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Windows 10
Intel i5 7500 @ 3.40 GHz 4 Core
Installed 8gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030
motherboard MSI H110M Pro-VH Plus
Hard Drive Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250gb

Thank you all for the response. So CPU is the least necessary thing to have in such multitasking PCs whereas RAM and a quality SSD drive will mostly do the job? And yes, I have a bunch of browser tabs open and at least 20 programs open that run constanly.

So CPU is the least necessary thing to have in such multitasking PCs whereas RAM and a quality SSD drive will mostly do the job? And yes, I have a bunch of browser tabs open and at least 20 programs open that run constanly.

It's not about necessity but priority.

Moreover, upgrading CPU is a risky operation if you didn't do it previously, let's wait until you feel really ready and the CPU price is more affordable.

More RAM + SSD is what you need actually.

Reactions: BasicConcept