[SOLVED] CPU was okay for awhile but it started freezing with medium to low stress and now any medium to high stress instantly shuts down pc

Apr 2, 2020
I am running an FX 9590 on Thermaltake frio extreme fans and I haven't had any issues but sometimes freezing from the cpu overheating for the last year but for the past couple of weeks the cpu just freezes all the time from when starting almost any game with heavier graphics, heck even Minecraft crashed because it was rendering a lot of chunks but I disabled HPC, C6, Cool and Quiet and got much better performance. Today though my pc started just turning off with the slightest of stress, almost every game I have loaded has shut down my pc before the game opened. I really don't know what to do since I bought this pc as used but fairly new and I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I was thinking of changing my cpu fan to some Noctua ND15 or something watercooled because the Thermaltake cooler has gotten through some dust and I thought that maybe the "exhausts"(?) were clogged or something but now I don't even know whats at fault.

https://valid.x86.fr/rlnp3j
this is my build, thanks for taking the time to read, any piece of information or tip is appreciated.^^

Solution
A 9590 and I'm assuming with a 4GB vram that it's a R9 290x. Talk about a hot-box, wow. On a TT Smart psu whose major design classification is light office usage.

The two 9 series FX cpus were brutal at 200+ watts TDP on any motherboard, including the select few supposedly built to handle them. Most Intel overclocks never saw volts and amps that high, so it really doesn't take much in the way of degradation in order for the motherboard to have issues. And it's taken this abuse for 6+ years or so?

R9 290x, another iffy card from AMD. Nominally runs @ 200w or so stock, OC 3rd party versions could see 300w+ and thats before any spiking which could hit into the 400w+ range.

Powered by a TT Smart, one of their lowest value lines...

popatim

Titan
Try underclocking to Fx8350 speeds and see if that helps. The 9590 was only ever spec'd to be watercooled and I think only with a 240mm or larger one at that. Well at least you actually have a motherboard that could indeed run the 9590 but it may be having issues due to age with power needed from the VRM's.

Which PSU do you have> whats the make and model#? It may be an issue as well.

Apr 2, 2020
make and model of the psu?
cpu temp during stress?

My psu is a
Thermaltake Smart M 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular Power Supply SP-850MPCBUS
and CPU generally runs on 30c and on stress it can just sometimes jump to 80c and freeze but I havent tested yet at what temperature my pc shuts down since it started happening today. Normally i would run games from minecraft averaging at 66c to heavier games taking it to the 70c-78c mark

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020
ill try slowly decreasing the cpu multiplier until I reach 4.2MHz to see if I gain stability. I hope I do because if don't im assuming with my lack of pc knowledge that there's probably an issue with my psu or even worse something else.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A 9590 and I'm assuming with a 4GB vram that it's a R9 290x. Talk about a hot-box, wow. On a TT Smart psu whose major design classification is light office usage.

The two 9 series FX cpus were brutal at 200+ watts TDP on any motherboard, including the select few supposedly built to handle them. Most Intel overclocks never saw volts and amps that high, so it really doesn't take much in the way of degradation in order for the motherboard to have issues. And it's taken this abuse for 6+ years or so?

R9 290x, another iffy card from AMD. Nominally runs @ 200w or so stock, OC 3rd party versions could see 300w+ and thats before any spiking which could hit into the 400w+ range.