rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
^Correct; WC isn't just your 'install and forget it' cooling options. It takes a decent amount of DIY and planning...not just slapping on a component. Its the difference between putting a worthless 'race spoiler' on your Honda, vs actually doing some legitimate performance upgrades.

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
yes i agree, just go for a decent air cooler like the noctua NH-D14 or thermalright venemous x, they both out perform the corsair h50 water cooling option and you dont have to have all the hassles that come with water cooling, but then you have to have a pretty big case as the noctua is 6,2 inches

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've been WC'ing for almost 6 years now, and I love it, but I think there are a lot of people that don't know what they are getting into...and only to say 'look, I water cool'. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun if you like doing things out of the ordinary and want to learn what works and what doesn't. However, if you are only looking for that 'gimmicky-ness', i'd suggest going with a good air cooler.

Just so it's clear;
A pump and block, some liquid, some tubing, a radiator and a fan equals liquid cooling.

Some may not understand the concept or agree with the idea of a maintenance free liquid cooler, but it doesn't change the fact that it is indeed liquid cooling.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
OK, so now that the definition of minimum liquid cooling is cleared up, put the H50 out of your mind for your i7. Your CPU produces too much heat for that little thing.

Hey rubix, could you evaluate this for starters?
Thermatake P500 Water Pump for $50

Swiftech MCRes-Micro R2 SSF Hi-Flow Acrylic Reservoir for $23

Swiftech Apogee XT Intel Water Block for $80

Swiftech MCR220-QP Extreme Duty Dual 120mm Radiator for $48

Fesser Active UV Hose 3/8" ID 1/2" OD Anti-Kink Tubing for $20

Thermaltake BigWater UV Sensitive Coolant for $14

Total is $235, and a little bit more for tax and connectors.

emmerichem

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Sorry i have been busy i did research on the (thermalright venemous x) looks impressive and cooling as well is great :D Sad side is my brother already got me a corsair H50-1 water cooling so i dont know what to do now lol
i have a CoolerMaster Sniper Case

emmerichem

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

I will do that Thanks man :) I see the H50 only comes with 1 fan what a joke lol

emmerichem

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Im not sure about the price cause i live in South Africa and i Payed R750 and in US currency is $76.53

Having used the H50 with P/P fans on an overclocked I7-860 ( @ 3.8 ), I7-930 ( @ 4.0 ) I7-965 ( @ 4.0 ) and I7-980x ( @ 4.0 ) I can tell you that you are wrong.
You wouldn't be able to break any overclocking records using it, but when properly configured it does just fine for moderate overclocking of the I7's.

I'm not rubix, but as to your shopping list, MC has the Danger Den CPX-1 pump for a couple of dollars less ( or the Jingway DP600, same pump with higher flow and pressure ratings ).
Stay away from bottled coolants, distilled water and a biocide are all you need, should cost you around half of what the bottled coolant does and will refill your system without having to buy another bottle of premix ( a $3 bottle of PTNuke should last for years, won't find it at MC though ).

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

Drop the coolant. Use distilled water only with some biocide or PTnuke. As for the pump, I'm not sure, haven't used it before. Looks like a flow rate of 500L/h, which is ok. The MCP655 is rated at 1200L/h, and the MCP355 at about 455L/h, if that is any comparison. If you want outright brute power and flow, the MCP655 is the best bet until you get into the aquarium pump arena. Note though, your components you have selected indicate a 3/8" tubing size; moving to the MCP655 will put you into the more common (and widely accepted as standard) 1/2" ID tubing size, unless you use fittings to reduce the tubing size.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
To emmerichem: If you already have the H50, then use it, case closed!

To the user of the dell: I defer to your actual experience, but have one question: how the 'ell do you overclock a dell?

To rubix: $30 more for the MCP655 looks like a good bet. Also, appreciate the advice on the tubing.

You're either lucky enough to get one that software overclocking programs will work with or foolish enough to spend the money on one of the higher end systems that had the ability.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

It never occurred to me to actually spend that much money!

emmerichem

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah well im gonna go ahead and use H50 :bounce:
Thanks for the support Bro. oh i dont know about dell systems
i have always built my own systems lol