[SOLVED] CPU wierd overheating

Mar 3, 2021
Good day .

So one day i decided to replace my thermal paste and and clean the whole pc , after doing that CPU temps would go about 55-60°c when idle and , 90°c when gaming.

So i went and bought a cheap Thermaltake gravity i1 CPU cooler and it worked wonderfully 35-40°c when idle and max 60°c while gaming .

One and a half weeks aftet that cpu temps again are as before 55-60 when idle and high when gaming .

Could it be a bad thermal paste ?
Or something else

Thanks in advance.

CPU: i7 3770K
GPU : Asus Strix GTX 970
MB: ASRock H61M- VS
PSU: Thermaltake Thoughpower 700w
RAM: Kingstone 8gb(2x4) 1600mhz

Solution
The cooler you bought is, indeed a cheap one which is no better than the stock intel cooler.
Even so, at idle, you should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient.

A i7-7700K needs something much better.
What is the make/model of your case, and what is the intake fan arrangement.
A good cooler will need 160mm. A tower type cooler with at least a 120mm fan would be minimum.

On the current situation, pushpin coolers are tricky to install.
Look at the back of your motherboard.
All 4 pins should be through the motherboard and locked.
If one is amiss or the cooler is loose, it will not work properly.
If you try to remount the cooler, push down on diagonal pairs of pins at the same time.
If you do them one at a time, the cooler will not seat evenly.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is that PSU? What version of Windows 10 are you on? I'm assuming you're on Windows 10 since it's 2021, regardless of specs. You might also want to see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. Speaking of BIOS, if you've got a number of updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest.

What sort of ambient room temps are you dealing with? Last I checked the 3rd gen and prior platforms have been having some thermal issues, perhaps it's to do with the updates by the OS. It also took me a long while to update the OS on an i3-2100 build...in spite of having copious amounts of ram.

Mar 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is that PSU? What version of Windows 10 are you on? I'm assuming you're on Windows 10 since it's 2021, regardless of specs. You might also want to see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. Speaking of BIOS, if you've got a number of updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest.

What sort of ambient room temps are you dealing with? Last I checked the 3rd gen and prior platforms have been having some thermal issues, perhaps it's to do with the updates by the OS. It also took me a long while to update the OS on an i3-2100 build...in spite of having copious amounts of ram.
Thank you.

Its just regular windows 10 home ,
Psu is about 5 or 6 years old
Im not quite sure about bios updates and not sure how to check that

Room temp was 14° just like outside no sun window fully open , but yesterday and a whole week before that i played in a much warmer room and temps where fine.

If you haven't changed anything in BIOS, then just forget about BIOS updating -it has nothing to do with your problem.
The way you describe your trouble, I assume you haven't mounted CPU cooler properly. Take it off and start again.
Could it be bad thermal paste? Yes, especially if it's wrong thermal paste. You ask such question, but then don't tell what paste you used.. sigh.

Good day .

So one day i decided to replace my thermal paste and and clean the whole pc , after doing that CPU temps would go about 55-60°c when idle and , 90°c when gaming.

So i went and bought a cheap Thermaltake gravity i1 CPU cooler and it worked wonderfully 35-40°c when idle and max 60°c while gaming .

One and a half weeks aftet that cpu temps again are as before 55-60 when idle and high when gaming .

Could it be a bad thermal paste ?
Or something else

Thanks in advance.

CPU: i7 3770K
GPU : Asus Strix GTX 970
MB: ASRock H61M- VS
PSU: Thermaltake Thoughpower 700w
RAM: Kingstone 8gb(2x4) 1600mhz
I think that if the temps went up 20C in a week and a half....and the fan curve hasn't been changed...then I would be looking at the mount. I think there's a good chance he mount came loose or shifted or something similar.

AND...when you say you wiggled your cooler and you get 55C on ultra...I assume that means your temps changed when you wiggled it. This should not happen. You should not be able to wiggle it. It should be snug.....and temps should change by wiggling it....jostling it.....whatever.

The cooler you bought is, indeed a cheap one which is no better than the stock intel cooler.
Even so, at idle, you should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient.

A i7-7700K needs something much better.
What is the make/model of your case, and what is the intake fan arrangement.
A good cooler will need 160mm. A tower type cooler with at least a 120mm fan would be minimum.

On the current situation, pushpin coolers are tricky to install.
Look at the back of your motherboard.
All 4 pins should be through the motherboard and locked.
If one is amiss or the cooler is loose, it will not work properly.
If you try to remount the cooler, push down on diagonal pairs of pins at the same time.
If you do them one at a time, the cooler will not seat evenly.

Solution