CPU will not throttle down under load/heat

Jun 20, 2018
I own a i5 6600K @3.5Ghz for use in my gaming rig, standard clock speed with the intel boost enabled. I have noticed while under heavy load while playing games such as Witcher 3 or Cities Skylines, that the CPU does not stop turbo'ing or throttle down, even as its temperatures climb into the 90C+ territories.

I have checked in the power settings, and it is set to the default balanced power mode, set to prefer cooling via CPU throttling. I currently have the fan curve on the BIOS set to go at full throttle once the CPU hits 72C. The only time the CPU throttles back is when it's idling.

Current cooler is a Corsair H60 water block.

Is there something I've missed somewhere that could be causing this problem? Or am I concerned over nothing?

EndlessZone123

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
There may be a problem with the bios or it hasn’t been updated. 90c+ Is still quite hot for that CPU on a ok cooler. I feel like the tempreture is abive normal maybe reapplying the thermal paste could lower the temps or to clear or the case for dust? 72c is quite low to set it for thermal throttling and is best to keep the throttle point above 90 to avoid stutter if it worked.

Jun 20, 2018

Updated the BIOS and chipset drivers. Put my computer under load, CPU is still boosting at 3.9Ghz even when it hits 90C+. I suppose the next thing to try would be to re-apply thermal paste, or just go into BIOS and disable the Intel Turbo Boost altogether.

I poked around in the BIOS a bit to see if I could find anything on thermal throttle points, but could only find fan control. If its any help, the MB is a msi Z170A M5.