Question CPU with integrated graphics and virtualization ?

fabio.lanza

Honorable
Apr 24, 2018
Hi, I have a home server with a dedicated NVIDIA Quadro GPU that I have been trying to passthrough to virtualized hosts. After not having a great success ratio over the years, I decided to save time and consider switching my CPU to one that has integrated graphics (e.g. Ryzen 7 5700G). I need my Plex VM or docker to be able to use the graphics for hardware accelerated transcoding.

Before I proceed with the purchase, I'd like to know if having the GPU integrated with the CPU allows the VMs to transparently use the graphics instructions without having to configure explicit passthrough or additional configuration. Is this the case?

Thank you,
Fabio

Hi, I have a home server with a dedicated NVIDIA Quadro GPU that I have been trying to passthrough to virtualized hosts. After not having a great success ratio over the years, I decided to save time and consider switching my CPU to one that has integrated graphics (e.g. Ryzen 7 5700G). I need my Plex VM or docker to be able to use the graphics for hardware accelerated transcoding.

Before I proceed with the purchase, I'd like to know if having the GPU integrated with the CPU allows the VMs to transparently use the graphics instructions without having to configure explicit passthrough or additional configuration. Is this the case?

Thank you,
Fabio
VMs threat IGPU just like any dedicated GPU. Note that AMD "G" processors are not real APU, just enhanced (comparing to Intel) elementary graphics.
AMD is supposedly next year releasing real APU with amazing capabilities in order of medium dedicated GPUs.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I've just installed GPU Passthrough for an old 8GB RX580 on a Windows 10 Pro VM running in Hyper-V using this guide from Starlet7222:
https://www.tenforums.com/virtualization/195745-tutorial-passing-through-gpu-hyper-v-guest-vm.html

It makes use of PowerShell scripts from James Stringer:
https://github.com/jamesstringerparsec/Easy-GPU-PV

At first I couldn't get "Update-VMGpuPartitionDriver.ps1 -VMName "Name of your VM" -GPUName "Name of your GPU" to work, until I followed Starlet7222's hint to insert ".\" prior to the main command.

I haven't tried this with my AMD FM2 APUs, or my ancient Quadro 5000 (2.5GB).

I had to set up a new Generation 2 VM for this experiment, because all my other VMs are Generation 1 and don't allow GPU Passthrough.

If I get sufficiently enthused, I'll set up new Gen. 2 VMs on my more up-to-date rigs (3800X, 7950X).

I'm not sure if this will be of any use on your server, but it might give you some ideas. I'm not running Plex, Docker or any jails on my TrueNAS Core servers, so can't help there.