[SOLVED] CPU without Fan and Heatsink

May 18, 2020
Hey there guys so let me get right into the point. I'm an idiot and made the mistake of turning my computer on without heatsink and fan for maximum 4 minutes and my question is, is there any chance that my CPU survived? At the time i just wanted to try out my RGB fans and didn't think about CPU(it's a new build and i'm missing CPU coolings) i was so impressed by the RGBs that i forgot about the CPU. I have an i7-4770 by the way. System didn't shut itself off so any chance my CPU tanked the heat?

Solution
I agree with drivnfast247. Modern CPUs are pretty robust when it comes to protecting themselves from overheat. Plus since you were probably just going to the BIOS and not actually loading an OS or doing something that would actually tax the CPU it probably didn't clock up at all. It likely survived. There have been plenty of instances of people not installing their coolers correctly such that they basically ran the CPU without a cooler, under load, and it survived.

But use this as a lesson for the future. Feel the fear of knowing you almost burned your processor and remember that for next time.
I agree with drivnfast247. Modern CPUs are pretty robust when it comes to protecting themselves from overheat. Plus since you were probably just going to the BIOS and not actually loading an OS or doing something that would actually tax the CPU it probably didn't clock up at all. It likely survived. There have been plenty of instances of people not installing their coolers correctly such that they basically ran the CPU without a cooler, under load, and it survived.

But use this as a lesson for the future. Feel the fear of knowing you almost burned your processor and remember that for next time.

Reactions: efcnYSL and SamirD
Solution
May 18, 2020

I definitely felt the fear of burning my CPU especially when i spent my last savings on the other parts. Thank you both for your replies. I feel a little more relaxed now. Will uptade if it fried or still working when i get my hands on my coolings.