CPU won’t fit in motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2018
My Intel Core I9-9900k won’t fit in my Msi Z390 godlike motherboard. They say they both have the same socket, and that the motherboard supports family of 9000 gen.. The holes don’t match up with the notches. What is going on here??

Solution
CPU is faulty. This is how it should look. Notice that the notch in the substrate in in the top left corner of the CPU looking at it from the screw where the cage slips under and locks down. Notch in the silicon should be in top left corner. Yours is in top right corner.

intel_core_i9_9900k_socketed_ndtv_1545830761808.jpg
Dec 26, 2018

I got it from Best Buy- direct link is
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-core-i9-9900k-octa-core-3-6-ghz-desktop-processor/6302019.p?skuId=6302019.
Should be the right Core, everything seems to match up. For the motherboard, I bought it from Amazon, here: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GODLIKE-Extended-Motherboard-Z390GODLIKE/dp/B07HMGVR8D.
One thing, I did go to the store myself without reserving it. I picked it from a locked glass box, but i am 100% sure it's the right one. Even the chip says i9-9900k on it. It seems to be completely off on the motherboard,
2b42n5.jpg
The notches are on the wrong side of the chip?

CPU is faulty. This is how it should look. Notice that the notch in the substrate in in the top left corner of the CPU looking at it from the screw where the cage slips under and locks down. Notch in the silicon should be in top left corner. Yours is in top right corner.

intel_core_i9_9900k_socketed_ndtv_1545830761808.jpg

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Wow that is impressive, I have NEVER seen anything like that.

You should bring the motherboard with you to the store in case they give you a hard time, BUT don't let them try to install it just demonstrate it for them. I'd hate to see those functional idiots mess up your board.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd be willing to bet that that cpu is a returned unit. I've seen scams where ppl will take a different cpu, delid, delid the new cpu, swap lids, reglue then return the old pcb with the new lid with a bogus story like they have a 200 series mobo so it doesn't line up. Some clueless salesperson looks at the lid, sees its a 9900k, serial numbers match the box, so it's repackaged and stuck back on the shelf.

Considering Intel makes cpus in batches, it's seriously doubtful it'd even fit in the tool & die process or get stamped with the wrong coding when all the other cpus in the batch are correct

Dec 26, 2018
Thank you all, I’m going to Best Buy today to return it. Seems like none of the MOBO pins got bent, I didn’t really try to force it in there. Even the back of the chip looks different (wider than the socket itself). What kind of faulty chip even is this??

Nope, it's worse than that because the gold triangle ON the silicon is in the wrong place in relation to the cutout on the silicon. All LGA 1151 CPUs would have the same orientation of the alignment triangle and cutout, so that couldn't change by delidding or modifying the CPU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I own a 3570k. I buy a 9900k. Delid both. Swap lids and reglue. Return the 3570k with 9900k lid to store. Numbers now match the 9900k box, but the cpu is entirely different underneath. Clueless person looks at cpu, no visible damage such as wet patches or scratches, buyer couldn't fit on mobo so working is probable as never installed. Repackage, put on shelf. OP buys cpu, it's really a 3570k but says it's a 9900k. Either that, or is in fact a 9900k that was de-lidded, screwed up, and returned, the prior owner forgetting to orient the notches correctly. I can't see Intel messing up orientation of a single pcb that's computer controlled and has to fit the die. The whole batch would have to be messed up and QC would find that easy.

Although I guess anything is possible.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel core 2 duo has a pcb exactly like op's with notches and alignment arrows.
imageupload

And look at the other print on the pcb, op's matches perfectly to that e8400, your pic DB doesnt. Even the distance from corner to notch is the same as the e8400 pcb, the 9900k has a smaller distance from notch to corner.

I'd put money that if tested in the right socket, op's cpu is not a 9900k, but a restamped or relidded core 2 duo.

Dec 26, 2018
Yes, the tape seals were perfectly intact like no one had ever touched it. The duper must know what he’s doing. Maybe he’s been scamming other Best Buys’ from their parts too? And, I’m surprised by the similarities with the Core 2 Duo! Someone duped Best Buy and kept the real Core i9 while replacing it with a fake version. Thankfully i returned it and fully got my money back. I’m now ordering one from Amazon.

I tried fitting it in all ways too, by the way the arrow and the notches are pointed it wouldn’t possibly fit. I searched up the image for the i2 Core Duo, and to my surprise, the underside looked exactly the same as the fake i9 did. I noticed when I returned it to Best Buy, the lady didn’t even look to check if it was a fake, she opened the box and took one glance at it, then told someone “We’ll bring it to the second floor later.” or something like that.

The second floor was where the i9s were sold, that leaves me to wonder if another innocent buyer will buy it and then return it for the chain to continue.. Also, that might have been the reason there was one left in Best Buy in 250 miles.

No other store within 250 miles sold it so I was happy to get it as it was the last one. This chain reaction had probably been going on for a while. Now I have to wait for the real i9 to arrive, although I should have it already.

I'd go back to the store and talk to the manager and tell them exactly what happened, maybe even point them to this thread if they are willing to take the time to do that. Tell them that it's highly irresponsible for them to not take this seriously and that you are going to directly contact corporate and relate your experience to them. That ought to get them to take it seriously. No local store manager or employee wants to see that happen.

Not your problem really, I understand that, but personally if that happened to me I would would want to make sure that nobody else ended up with that fake i9.

Dec 26, 2018
^ I called Best Buy and asked to speak to the manager. After explaining the situation I’ve been in, they said ‘sorry for the inconvenience, we’ll fix the issue.’ They said they had already took it off the shelf and deemed it as faulty. Guess they lost $600 that day, but I’m glad no one else will have to go through that hassle. I looked online and it read ‘out of stock near you’ so I’ll have to take their word for it. They should inspect the product carefully instead of taking people’s word for it. How reckless.

They wouldn't be out 600 bucks if they did what most stores DON'T do, especially auto parts stores, and make sure what is in the box is actually what is supposed to be in the box AND trained their employees to know the difference. It's their own fault. I'm just glad it didn't end up coming out of your pocket or wrecking your motherboard.

Dec 26, 2018
^^ Yes! Everything is working perfectly. I am waiting a month to get the graphics card (most likely a Zotac 2080 Ti amp extreme). I also need to get Windows 10 and the monitor, but that’s about it. The motherboard pens were actually BENT from putting in the fraud graphics card- MSI gladly offered a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.