CPU won’t fit in motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2018
My Intel Core I9-9900k won’t fit in my Msi Z390 godlike motherboard. They say they both have the same socket, and that the motherboard supports family of 9000 gen.. The holes don’t match up with the notches. What is going on here??

Solution
CPU is faulty. This is how it should look. Notice that the notch in the substrate in in the top left corner of the CPU looking at it from the screw where the cage slips under and locks down. Notch in the silicon should be in top left corner. Yours is in top right corner.

intel_core_i9_9900k_socketed_ndtv_1545830761808.jpg

There, I fixed it for you.

beardrinksbeer

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

That is great news, I bet you are rapped.
I really like your choice of GPU.
AOC AGON are making nice monitors if you are tight with the money.
That is grouse stuff from MSI

beardrinksbeer

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

I am 60, but I am from a land downunder

"That is grouse stuff from MSI"
That is good stuff from MSI

sorry mate, it's just the way I talk (I always failed English at skool for some reason ;))

We have several moderators from Australia and New Zealand. I've never heard any of them use grouse, but then again, they usually don't use any of the Aussie slang in our conversations so that's not surprising. Grouse. Good to know.

By the way, everybody knows bears don't drink beer. They are single malt mammals when they are getting ready for hibernation and honey mead drinkers the rest of the time. LOL.

beardrinksbeer

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

No wukkers cobber ;)
I used to drink beer china, but me guts is stuffed, so I make & drink moonshine now, beauty eh
I must be the only Bear in the world that hates honey
I hibernate in the summer, I hate the heat
I changed me pic for ya
Grouse, I use rhyming slang Mickey Mouse (is grouse (good)), it ain't the bird
that explains it, I grew up in Melbourne, "https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grouse"
like china is rhyming slang - china - china plate - mate - :)
haveagoodweekend :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a Pom. My mum is Cockney. Rhyming slang is part of me heritage. Took me many years to straighten me loaf out.
I lived in Werribee for several years, that's 30 klicks towards Geelong from Melbourne on Princes Highway, although technically you could prolly call it Hoppers Crossing.
You sound more like Alice Springs than Vikky.

beardrinksbeer

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Cooee Karadjgne
Never been to the Alice, I hear there is a big rock there :)
Bought up in Melb, I was born in Steak & Kidney thou
Come Saturday I used to go to the footy & have a dogs eye with dead horse with me pot of coldie (or 12)
Ahhh the good old days, then disco happened, luckily Metallica happened as well

Struth, I suppose we better get back OT

Hey OP, did you get the 2080ti & the monitor yet?

Dec 26, 2018
Haha came back to this thread and noticed it turned into its own thing! Thanks for the spelling correction, it was about 6 in the morning. Yes, I have a legal copy of Windows 10 Home and my Zotac RTX 2080 TI Extreme AMP! Haven’t gotten the monitor yet.. has to be under $700, real tight on my budget :/. I do agree, can’t deny MSI has a sweet replace policy LOL!
PS. sorry for messy answer. Trying to fit as many replies as possible for my late absence..

Status
Not open for further replies.