Question CPU wont boot with GPU installed

Jul 6, 2021
Good Afternoon,

I will preface this by saying I'm not a tech wizard.

I have a Dell OptiPlex 5050. I am trying to install an RX 470 which I bought second hand. I upgraded the power supply to a 450 watt EVGA psu, which was purchased new. Without the graphics card inserted into the PCIe slot, the computer boots and functions normally. When I put the GPU into the PCIe slot, the computer powers on but gets stuck at the Dell logo screen upon startup. There is no video signal output from the GPU.

I have tried updating the BIOS. I have tried disabling the integrated graphics.

I have power connected to the GPU. The PSU does not have a 6 pin connector but has a 4 + 2. I don't know if that matters. The GPU fans spin but that is all.

I'm not sure what else to try.

Is the GPU dead? I unfortunately don't have another computer to test it in, or another gpu to test the PCIe slot.

I appreciate any advice one can offer.

No problem at all. I was just worried you put wrong cable into GPU, as that surely would make it not work. We cleared that up, now we can go further.
Did your PC had any discrete GPU before?
With rx470 installed, boot the system with monitor connected to motherboard. Does it show anything that way? If not, does it at least seem to boot to BIOS/Windows (there are ways to find out even without working display) or does it get stuck forever?
Btw, this
the computer powers on but gets stuck at the Dell logo screen upon startup. There is no video signal output from the GPU.
I don't understand. Either there is no signal at all, or there is signal at first but then is gone. Which one it is?

Jul 6, 2021
Sorry I wasn't very clear in the first post.

The computer was purchased directly from Dell refurbished a few months ago. I've never had a GPU in it before.

There is no signal from the RX470.

If the RX470 is installed in the PCIe slot, but I have the monitor hooked up to the HDMI of the motherboard, the Dell logo screen comes on, but it gets stuck there forever. It won't boot into windows. It's windows 10, by the way.

Also, I did try to download the drivers for the card from the AMD website, however, when I try to install them, I get error code 173, saying that there is no AMD graphics hardware found. Not sure if that's relevant at this point.

The computer was purchased directly from Dell refurbished a few months ago. I've never had a GPU in it before.
So sadly we can't rule out bad motherboard.
If the RX470 is installed in the PCIe slot, but I have the monitor hooked up to the HDMI of the motherboard, the Dell logo screen comes on, but it gets stuck there forever. It won't boot into windows. It's windows 10, by the way.
Try different thing: with rx470 installed, DON'T connect power cable to it, and try booting with monitor connected to motherboard.
Also, I did try to download the drivers for the card from the AMD website, however, when I try to install them, I get error code 173, saying that there is no AMD graphics hardware found. Not sure if that's relevant at this point.
Nope, it won't work this way. Drivers can't be installed before Windows recognizes the GPU.

Jul 6, 2021
Try different thing: with rx470 installed, DON'T connect power cable to it, and try booting with monitor connected to motherboard
Ok, I tried this. The computer booted. I got into windows but it's running crazy slow. Not sure if that's because of the 470. Cpu usage is 94%

I tried installing the drivers again for the heck of it and got the same error.

Jul 6, 2021
After doing some research, I tried disabling secure boot, as I read that could cause issues. That had no effect, still gets stuck at the logo and doesn't boot.

Ok, I tried this. The computer booted. I got into windows but it's running crazy slow. Not sure if that's because of the 470. Cpu usage is 94%

I tried installing the drivers again for the heck of it and got the same error.
Good, we are getting somewhere. Boot to Windows this way and check if rx appears in Device Manager (make sure to show hidden devices). Check for error any codes.

Jul 6, 2021
Good, we are getting somewhere. Boot to Windows this way and check if rx appears in Device Manager (make sure to show hidden devices). Check for error any codes.
I went into device manager and clicked "show hidden devices" and I don't see the rx in device manager. Would there be a potential for it to have a generic label that I might not be recognizing?

What category should it appear under? Display adapters? System Devices?

Jul 6, 2021
I don't see anything labeled AMD or RX470. There is a pair of items listed under software components. They are labeled as "generic software component" Could that be it? It says that the device has no driver installed and the parent device is PCI.

At this point you would need tech guy with proper equipment and knowledge. We've got through everything except checking the card in another PC - as mentioned earlier can't rule out bad motherboard and this check would be enough to do that.

Jul 6, 2021
Ok, well thank you for the assistance. I might see if I can find a friend with a desktop that will let me test the card. Otherwise, would you suggest taking the card to a repair shop? Maybe they would at least be able to test the card to determine if it is bad? Not sure if that would be worth the money.

I contacted the seller of the item. I'm hoping he'll just take it back and refund my money.

Jul 6, 2021
Understood. My only concern is that I'm not sure I'll be able to return it. I purchased it a few months ago on ebay but got busy and didn't get around to trying it out until this week. I contacted the seller and am awaiting a response, but I'm not sure if I'll be successful filing a claim with buyer protection if I don't hear back from the seller, especially with the time that's passed. So, I might be stuck with it.

In that case you'll be left with 2 choices:
  • take the card to the repair shop. This incurs additional costs with no warranty whatsoever that it will work.
  • just consider it a lost money.
Neither choice is good unfortunately. Main reason I don't like buying used stuff personally. Sometimes you got it cheaper, but sometimes it will cost you more then new.