CPU won't utilize Turbo Boost?

Sep 17, 2018
Hello. I own a Dell Optiplex 790 and just recently purchased an i5-2500K as the system struggled with bottlenecking due to my previous i3-2100.
Specs: Dell Optiplex 790, BIOS A21
i5-2500K @3.3 GHz
AMD HD7870 XT
1TB 7.2K RPM Western Digital
Venus 450W PSU
2x2 + 2x4GB (12GB total) Hynix
DDR3 RAM

Now onto the issue I seem to be encountering. Upon the installation of the CPU I noticed that it wasn't reaching the max advertised Turbo Boost- in fact it doesn't boost at all and stays at 3.3 GHz. I did enable Turbo Boost in my BIOS, yet for some odd reason, no matter how many times I restart my PC, I get the same results. I've ran tons of benchmarks, from Cinebench to heavy game titles like GTA 5 maxed and Witcher 3. I've also downloaded the Intel XTU tool to see if it supported overclocking on my CPU but it has absolutely no options, and the program itself says Turbo Boost is disabled. Can anyone help me figure out this strange annoyance please? I'd appreciate it greatly.

Solution
Yep, I was going to tell you that enabling EIST and the C states was a really good place to start, if they weren't already. I'd also go into the control panel, click next to your power plan where it says change plan settings, then click on advanced settings, then open processor power management.

On the minimum setting, set it to 10%. Max sure the max is set to 100%.
What is the motherboard model number? Pretty difficult to tell much of anything without that. Should be printed ON the motherboard somewhere. Likely there are multiple motherboard models potentially possible as there are many sub models of most Optiplex models.

It's possible that that motherboard was never intended to run that CPU, even though it may be basically supported. Power delivery and VRM configuration may not allow it if it is a fairly low end motherboard. If there were no turbo features supported on that board because the i3 it came with was not capable of any turbo boost functions, then your i5 isn't going to boost either.

Sep 17, 2018

Sorry for the late response. Do you know if there are any specific locations in regards to the motherboard model number? All I've found so far was the following: CN-0HY9JP-73604-15K-0C3J-A00 (This was found on a tiny piece of paper taped to the motherboard with a barcode). I also took note of the numbers on the chip: SCH5544-NS C1114-A1P007E018J145997C

I don't feel very confident in these characters but I hope I'm somewhat correct.

Sep 17, 2018

I found two codes on the sticker. I'll label them;

Service Tag: FSGCYQ1
Express Service Code: 34372266697

Sep 17, 2018
Nevermind! I'm really sorry and feel very stupid, and thank you for the assistance. My issue is that I needed to enable Intel Speed Step. As soon as I did that my Turbo Boost began working flawlessly. Thanks again!

Yep, I was going to tell you that enabling EIST and the C states was a really good place to start, if they weren't already. I'd also go into the control panel, click next to your power plan where it says change plan settings, then click on advanced settings, then open processor power management.

On the minimum setting, set it to 10%. Max sure the max is set to 100%.

Solution