CPU Xeon X5460 with Motherboard G41-VS3-rev. 2.0 problem

Jan 27, 2019
Hello everyone!

After few days of fighting with these configuration I'd like to ask You for help..

This Xeon should work with this motherboard. I bought CPU with an adapter and pre-drilled holes.
I updated BIOS to 1.90 ver. and also installed mods to Xeon CPUs.

Currently I'm working on previous CPU E6400 on the same PC, which means motherboard is fine.

PROBLEM:
After installing CPU, PC doesn't recognize it. When I pull out CPU from the socket - i got the same result as with CPU inserted. No video on screen. Bios has been reseted, with jumper and with battery pulled out. Seller said that CPU was tested before shipping, so it should work.

Try BIOS Mods.com and see if you can get a patched BIOS with the XEON microcode.
https://www.amazon.com/PartsCollection-LGA1150-LGA1151-LGA1155-Processors/dp/B0725XT8YS/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B8BAXSKSEPPN6SBDK3K8
There are 2 types of mods. One adds the microcode, the other changes Platform ID of the CPU from 11 to 44. The 1st one adds support for Xeons, 2nd one removes support for LGA775 CPUs.
I had my G41 board recognize my Xeon w/o the BIOS (but very buggy) by having a similar LGA775 CPU installed first so the settings were already "close enough".
If you can't find a premade patch for your BIOS already there they appreciate it fi you provide a copy of your BIOS for them to work on.

Jan 27, 2019
I'll tell You bit more. I don't think that CPU itself is D.O.A., because when I unplug my Radeon R9 280x PC boots for second then shuts down. When I plug in my video card PC runs but as I wrote before - only fans are spinning, no video. :/ I don't see any patched BIOS with the XEON microcode on this site.

Jan 27, 2019

I also found a video on Yt with this CPU installed on G41M - VS3 - rev. 2.0 where author shared ROM for MB. I did update with this but still nothing changed. Bios is updated to the newest version with mod inserted in.

I'm afraid I mostly mod Dells so I don't ahve any specific advice for your situation. If you could get a Q95550, or similar CPU to run maybe the settings would be close enough to jump start the Xeon swap. My X5470 ran on the settings of the Q9505S I had before. But I'm afraid my Optiplex 380 G41 BIOS won't help you much.

Jan 27, 2019

I know that buzzer beeps would be helpful to diagnoze what is going on, but I don't have speaker unfortunately..

Jan 27, 2019

I put CPU exactly as previous one, with triangle in the corner and fits fine I guess.