CPU-Z and other programs not displaying actual CPU clock speeds and core temps

SmittyMIZ

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
So I've overclocked my 3570k to 4.0 ghz, saved my settings in the bios, and am stress testing it using prime 95, but when I go into programs such as CPU-Z and Core Temp, they still say I'm running at 3.4 ghz and my temps aren't changing at all. I checked Task Manager under the performance tab and it says my CPU is running 100% at 3.92 ghz (max 4.0) like it should be. Are these programs displaying incorrectly or am I missing something? Please help!

Solution
CPUZ should be accurate, but remember when your cpu isn't running at full speed it will slow itself down to save power. Just remember to look at cpuz while the cpu is actually performing a task. you have to remember that the stock turbo boost of that processor was 3.8 ghz before you did any "oc" so if you didn't change voltages the temps wouldn't have changed much, also if you want it to run closer to 4.0 the whole time disable turbo boost.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
CPUZ should be accurate, but remember when your cpu isn't running at full speed it will slow itself down to save power. Just remember to look at cpuz while the cpu is actually performing a task. you have to remember that the stock turbo boost of that processor was 3.8 ghz before you did any "oc" so if you didn't change voltages the temps wouldn't have changed much, also if you want it to run closer to 4.0 the whole time disable turbo boost.

Solution

SmittyMIZ

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
Wait, now its doing it again. CPU-Z is saying my multiplier is x 34.0 and my core speed is 3399.21 Mhz and Core Temp says the same thing when in reality it's at 4.0 ghz. I don't even know if I'm overclocking right now. This is extremely frustrating.

SmittyMIZ

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
O.K. I've finally solved the issue. Apparently, disabling Power Technology caused my motherboard to ignore the CPU multiplier/ratio. Maybe a safety net or something. Enabling Power technology fixed this problem.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador

drivers on the disc are usually out of date the day the board ships on launch day, any day after that you can almost beat money they are.

dull4h

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
I can't tell you how to fix this issue, but I started using RealTemp and it seems to show the correct speeds and temperatures. I had this same problem for several months and was convinced something was wrong with my cpu/motherboard/bios. I was about to give up but I decided to download good old RealTemp because new speedfan is crap (overly complicated/horrible UI, lack of past features).

Since then I also downloaded the AI Suite (Asus) and decided to see if I could OC from software (I know, ew), but it worked. Since then I downloaded an older version of CPU-Z which worked. It could either be that something was updated with the download of AI Suite to give CPU-Z the correct information, or just that the older CPU-Z worked properly. Either way this course of action worked for me.

As a side note, those with Asus motherboards may want to actually give Asus Turbo V Evo a try. It actually makes OC very ez. It gives you access to many voltages, your cpu ratio, bclk frequency as well as other things. You can always go into your bios to tweak your ram further or turn off undesirable settings like your C1E etc.