CPU-Z hates me, or my system is possessed...

logical2u

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
CPU-Z randomly detects my E6400 as running with a multiplier of 6, even though I have my BIOS set up to "Lock" the multiplier at 8.

ITAT and Asus Utilities fail to detect the multiplier change at the same time, and CPU-Z rarely changes it back up to the proper multiplier.

Anyone else have these problems/any ideas how to fix them? It's kind of freaky to see your frequency jump between 1800 and 2400 at random intervals.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
It might be CPU-Z version/C2D stepping problem. Which ones? I use P5B-E with E6300 L2 stepping & CPU-Z 1.39.2 - never had this issue. Do you have SpeedStep or EIST or C1E enabled in BIOS?

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Its Intel's version of Cool 'n Quiet.. Sry I can't remember what its called.. But It clocks down your proc when its not being utilized to its fullest to save energy.. It will go back up as soon as you stress it a bit more..

EDIT SpeedStep Technology is what does it.. check it out in your bios.. disabling it would keep your proc at full speed all the time.. I recommend disabling it with an OC'ed rig. just to make sure it doesn't mess it up because its probably not meant to clock down your OC FSB and/or multi

logical2u

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I have the default P5B. What is the BIOS setting called, if there is anyone who knows? There is a lot of random acronym stuff, and since there is no IE/FF in a BIOS, I quickly forget.

C1E is possibly enabled, simply because I recognize the acronym. I will check the next time I reboot.

In the meantime, thanks in advance.

uniaudio

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I have an Asus P5W-DH mobo. I've clocked the FSB at 340. AI Booster reads all this correctly, but CPUz has it all wrong. I am still working on finding the reason. Multiplier is set at 9, CPUz reads 6. AI Booster reads memory at 1361, CPU at 3.06. Bios reads at 3.06 booting up. CPUz reads much less, in the 2.0 range. All benches I run seem to indicate 3.06 speed. Kind of a puzzle as I've never had CPUz wrong before. I'm really curious so I'll follow this thread carefully!

logical2u

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Disabling C1E fixed it right up.

I also disabled TM in an attempt to get it to work, but I'm running temperature tests on it, and see if I keep it overclocked.