CPU-Z is only showing 1 core on i3 windows 7

Gort_13

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
CPU-Z is only showing 1 core on windows 7 on i3 processor.

Went to msconfig > boot > abvanced > only showed 1 core in box >ticked 2 cores > checked CPUZ > still only shows 1 core! I need help to resolve this. Thanks.

Well, after you ticked msconfig but why did you do that, you ought to have removed the tick all together so the OS would automatically check. Anyways, how many cores does the Task Manager show.
Did you delete the CPUz INI file and then rerun it and check?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I'm not near my computer right now (using a different one) to check, but if I am not mistaken, all you did in msconfig is tell the OS to use both cores during boot up instead of the default of one.

Can you upload a picture of what CPU-Z is showing you?

contentedbloke

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Have you enabled all four cores in the bios? I'm assuming this option exists for the core-i series too (I have it for my Q6600 processor).

It's an i3 ....... what 4 cores are you talking about?

ch3rok33jo3

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

He was probably assuming i3 is quad core, since Core 2 ended up with 4-cores and there's no logical reason to assume i3 would be less cores. You would have to know that i3 is simply re-branded Core 2 Duo in order to know that i3 is only two cores, and that's not really ultra-common knowledge. In fact, it's pretty stupid on Intel's part.

However the situation doesn't change based on his error - make sure all (or, for technicality sake, BOTH) of your cores are enabled in the BIOS