CPU-Z says that my memory freq. is 665.1MHz? Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB RAM.

Mitchyl

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Processor - i5 2770k
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z77-D3H
It's Corsair Vengeance RAM, 4X4GB.
I also have a GTX 770 2GB attached to the motherboard, and everything's being powered by a sketchy Topower 650W PSU.
The model number is (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9), and the corsair.com page is right here. I don't know much about this stuff at all (I just researched what parts were compatible and which ones fit my price range, what I wanted, etc when I built this computer. It says on the Corsair page that the "Speed Rating" is "PC3-12800 (1600MHz)", but I don't know if that means the same thing or not.

Maybe my motherboard is limiting my RAM in some way? It's a pretty bad motherboard, I think. I didn't put enough thought (or money) into it when I bought the parts. Also, if it is the same thing, what kind of performance decrease is this introducing? How would I fix it, etc? This might be why my RAM usage is always at 25%, despite having 16GB of it.

Thanks in advance, let me know if any other information is required.

-Mitchyl

Hi,

Many DIMM manufacturers use chips from SDRAM manufacturers and operate them out of specification.

A set of DDR3-1600 DIMMs may be constructed from DDR3-1333 chips that are tested and marketed with a particular overclock in mind. For compatibility reasons, the firmware will only ever apply the standard configuration specified by the SDRAM manufacturer, not the non-standard configuration specified by the DIMM manufacturer. Fortunately, there's a standard and easy way of applying this overclock to the memory, it's called XMP and is featured on most DIMMs.