CPU-z shows different numbers than BIOS? Am i getting bottle-necked?

Mack_1

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
So i'm trying to figure out why BIOS says im running at 4.00ghz CPU and 1600mhz ram. but CPU-Z says im running 1399.2Mhz CPU and 800 Mhz ram. Windows task manager shows CPU at 1.36Ghz and ram at 800 Mhz..

Build :
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera
GPU: gtx 960 2gig
Mobo: MSI 970 gaming mobo
Ram: 8 gigs ddr3 1600mhz
PSU: corsair 750w

http://imgur.com/JRWwfsG
http://imgur.com/nluHeuQ

Notes: when i run prime95 my CPU usage wont go above 35%. When i play games my CPU and GPU usage is normally low, yet im not getting the fps that people with similar builds are getting.

Other questions: is my mobo bottle necking my components? Or does something need added like more RAM. in terms of why im getting low FPS.

Troubleshooting so far:
- Updated BIOS
- Turned off AMD cool n' quiet functions
- Turned on high performance mode in power settings.
- Checked BIOS for other power saving features and disabled them.
- Tried to manually set my CPU speed to a 4.2ghz yet it still wont go over the speed 1399mhz when i check CPU-Z.

These are all new parts and its getting rather frustrating to not have the results i believe i should be getting out of the system. However if im wrong in someway I would appreciate some enlightenment. Thanks in advance for any help. I'll try to keep this updated.

Solution
While that is a completely garbage power supply and not the board I'd use with that cpu neither are bad enough in that rig to cause that. I THINK there is a slow mode (or something to that effect) switch on that motherboard. Make sure it's not on

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
First 800 = 1600 for the ram as ddr3 the D's stand for double data (rate)

Secondly can we get a screenshot of cpu z WHILE prime is running all computers slow down to save energy when nothing is in use. Why do you want it running full speed at idle,

Mack_1

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

http://imgur.com/a/S9xPJ i took this after prime95 had been running for a few minuets. I ran it on the blend mode that says " a bit of everything" or something along those lines.

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Stupid question, have you edited windows power plan settings?
Under advanced you can limit the maximum CPU state - that could be causing this.

I would also completely reset the bios back to stock, without any overclocking and see what happens then.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
While that is a completely garbage power supply and not the board I'd use with that cpu neither are bad enough in that rig to cause that. I THINK there is a slow mode (or something to that effect) switch on that motherboard. Make sure it's not on

Solution

Mack_1

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

did a double check just incase. But yeah the min and max CPU power is set to 100% and running in high performance mode.

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Would you be able to say when the problem first started?
Maybe when you were changing something?

Also a previous poster suggested a slow mode switch on the board, could you check for that?

Edit: derp. Glad you fixed it.