[SOLVED] Cpu_led on motherboard

I am not sure if this should have been posted to motherboards forum instead...
Ok, this is going to be long so bear with me.

I usually don't shut down my PC, it goes to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity. That being said, on December 20th after I woke up, my PC wouldn't wake from sleep in the beginning and after I reset, some fans wouldn't turn on until almost all LEDs from motherboard were lit. It turns out my motherboard went bye-bye (Asus z170-a), so I bought a new one Asus prime z270-a. I am mentioning this because I had some thought that my CPU might have been affected somehow as well.

Fast forward to last week. Again my PC did not fully wake from sleep. This time everything was working but I had no display and the Cpu_led in my motherboard lit up, then it switched to dram_led and after some time again switched to cpu_led. I forced shut down and everything was fine but again when it went to sleep, the same thing happened.

Normal shutdown and restart has no indication of problems. While on sleep though... CPU led, then dram led and again CPU led and I have to force shutdown.

Things I have tried:
Removing all overclock and disabling XMP profile.
Using one stick of ram at a time.
Re-seating CPU.
Testing ram for problems.
Unplug and replug everything from my PSU.

Nothing has worked so far.
Any ideas?

My specs are in my signature 100% accurate.

Last edited:
Solution
After many months of continuous searching, brainstorming and taking everything apart and back into the case, I found the root of the problem.

I went to 3 different technicians and noone could find what was wrong. They couldn't even replicate the issue so I was worried there was a problem with my monitor or with the power plug in the wall.

It turns out its neither of those but a known bug of DisplayPort and sleep mode in windows. For me it happens with EVERY GPU I try in my machine when I use the DisplayPort, except the integrated graphics. For some reason it has also affected the refresh rate. I now use HDMI and everything works perfectly. That's why no other technician could replicate the problem, they were all using HDMI. It has...
Jun 4, 2019
when you wake from sleep the computer is rebooting from sleep.one of the compontents is failure to to start or powerplan so its rebooting to start.give your cpu and ramm stress test if pass its harddrive or powerplan in windows or bios

when you wake from sleep the computer is rebooting from sleep.one of the compontents is failure to to start or powerplan so its rebooting to start.give your cpu and ramm stress test if pass its harddrive or powerplan in windows or bios

It does not reboot, I have to manually force a shutdown. It seems like it's working, fans spinning, rgb lights up, but I get no display and the cpu_led lights up, then it turns off to switch to dram_led and after some seconds it switches back to cpu_led and stays that way.
I will do a stress test right away.

Did you touch the back of the CPU at all by mistake? If there is any dirt, oil, or any other foreign matter it could cause there to not be a good connection between the socket pins and the CPU.

I have not. I was very careful, but even if it had some dirt or anything, wouldn't I experience problem immediately and not after 6 months?

Jun 4, 2019
it obviouly reboots from sleep cos thats when cpu and ram lights happen the mb test before it loads bios and operating system..Try restore bios to default or update it from mb site

Have you tried booting with no graphics card installed?
Oh my god... it works perfectly fine without my gpu. It goes to sleep and wakes with no problems whatsoever.

I tried 2 more PSUs that I had from my other PCs and didnt make a difference. So, what's up with the GPU? Is it faulty or it has something else that's interfering? I have no problems when it comes to gaming. Stable as it ever was.

I am completely and utterly baffled with this turn of events. I would have never thought GPU had something to do with it.

EDIT: I also tried DDU and reverting to older GPU drivers (417.35). Nothing changed. So, is my GPU affecting the system or is it something else?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
glad you resolved it.if you get a prob in future and now allway check windows event viewer it tell you every error and go from there.It would have indicated the error at the start.Put the gpu back and unplug all usbs and try wake.If ok is powerplan acpi thing

do the problem again then check ...event viewer/windowslogs/system it will tell you the error and time

Last edited:

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Oh my god... it works perfectly fine without my gpu. It goes to sleep and wakes with no problems whatsoever.

I tried 2 more PSUs that I had from my other PCs and didnt make a difference. So, what's up with the GPU? Is it faulty or it has something else that's interfering? I have no problems when it comes to gaming. Stable as it ever was.

I am completely and utterly baffled with this turn of events. I would have never thought GPU had something to do with it.

EDIT: I also tried DDU and reverting to older GPU drivers (417.35). Nothing changed. So, is my GPU affecting the system or is it something else?
You'll have to check your graphics card and motherboard drivers, see if there are any conflicts between them? Also reinstall your Nvidia drivers with a clean installation.

You'll have to check your graphics card and motherboard drivers, see if there are any conflicts between them? Also reinstall your Nvidia drivers with a clean installation.
I did not upgrade anything when this happened so there is no reason to have a conflict now and not when I upgraded the first time. Also you can see I mentioned in my previous post that I did do a clean install with DDU.
As for the windows update, last update was installed over 15 days ago, so still not related.

glad you resolved it.if you get a prob in future and now allway check windows event viewer it tell you every error and go from there.It would have indicated the error at the start.Put the gpu back and unplug all usbs and try wake.If ok is powerplan acpi thing

do the problem again then check ...event viewer/windowslogs/system it will tell you the error and time
and if what he say dont work open a commad prompt and run sfc/scannow and if any system files are damaged it will rewrite them
event viewer just has the error 41 which is that the system hasn't shut down properly (from me forcing to shutdown). It's not useful when it's not when windows are loaded and the system can not wake.
sfc/scannow finished and nothing was found
so unfortunately none of these works so far.

Last edited:
I will try a new installation of windows when I get back home, just to see if that solves the problem to make sure it's software related. Meanwhile, is there any other ideas what might be the issue? I still believe that somehow the CPU has something to do with it.

EDIT: Unfortunately fresh install of windows did nothing. So it seems my GPU has some kind of problem.

Last edited:
Are you sure your previous motherboard was indeed having some issues ? It could be the CPU, or some power settings in your BIOS, as well as OS.
I am 100% sure the previous motherboard had issues because even with another compatible CPU and RAM it wouldn't POST.

I have not changed any power settings in BIOS and I also reverted to default settings after having those problems.

Another thing I noticed. My monitor is 2k 144Hz and I usually use it 2k 85Hz and in some games 2k 144Hz (if I know that I can hit 144 fps). I saw that sometimes the option to put 144Hz is not available in Nvidia settings and it can go up to 120Hz instead. I unplugged and replugged the cable (Display port) and then it was showing again 144Hz available. I even tried another cable with no difference. It has happened exactly when my problems started and since then 3 times.

Jun 4, 2019
hope you sort it out bud.Sometimes it tought help without being there.Try google or gpu forums anything about gpu and wake others might have.

i had a problem before my monitor wouldnt wake only pc.It was the usbs on the monitor

Last edited:
Update on the matter:

I still have not figure this out.
I contacted asus about the GPU that might be faulty and they told me to send it to their repair center. It came back as it was, passing all their diagnostics and they simply clean it. I tried it to see IF anything had changed but the problems ofcourse still existed.

I contacted them once again with video proofs of the problems, which they decided to replace it with a refurbished one. When the new (refurbished) GPU arrived, I checked to see if it was indeed a different one, first by checking the serial number and then by trying to OC it which to my disappointment was a worse one (not by much, but still). The problems still exist exactly as they were.

Since then I tried again fresh install of OS and new drivers (DDU everytime). The only 2 things that have not be checked are CPU and motherboard. So it's got to be one of those 2. Is there a way to be certain which one is?
For the love of God, I can't find a soul nearby with a compatible CPU, neither a repair shop that has one available to make this easy for me.

Any help?????

After many months of continuous searching, brainstorming and taking everything apart and back into the case, I found the root of the problem.

I went to 3 different technicians and noone could find what was wrong. They couldn't even replicate the issue so I was worried there was a problem with my monitor or with the power plug in the wall.

It turns out its neither of those but a known bug of DisplayPort and sleep mode in windows. For me it happens with EVERY GPU I try in my machine when I use the DisplayPort, except the integrated graphics. For some reason it has also affected the refresh rate. I now use HDMI and everything works perfectly. That's why no other technician could replicate the problem, they were all using HDMI. It has now been at least 40 days that I had 0 issues using the HDMI.

Solution