Nope. As Leaps-from-Shadows said, the issue was with the chipset (specifically the SATA controller).

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I google'd "sandy bridge recall" and found lots of hits.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/01/intel-recalls-8.php

Whether it is the chip or the chipset, either way it means you can't build a system using a sandy bridge cpu until it is fixed. Or rather unless you have no need for SATA devices. So if I was going to build a computer and not use SATA devices then I would go ahead and buy Sandy Bridge. I read some other threads that mostly contained arguments as to whether you could or could not buy chips and motherboards without the flaw as of right now.

1) Fixed chipsets are already available
2) Even if they weren't, it's worth the wait. The difference, both in battery life and performance, is absolutely monumental.

UniqueName

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

You didn't google very well because the two 6Gbps ports are fine as detailed in the top Cnet article. Sadly if you bing then you would have gotten the incomplete sensationalist Infoworld article(fatal flaw? no mention of 6Gbp? and 3 days late?). In general, you can't build your own notebook either.

travelingedit

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Thank you to all that replied to my thread, however, I have even move questions than answers. If the SandyBridge i7-2630QM is better, but not available, do you think the systems with that CPU will be available in the next two weeks? And, for all that offered google as a research point, I have googled and googled, and I have found that SandyBridge is supposed to be available in the first week of March (now), however, I continue to read conflicting information about the real availability or in many cases, no information at all.

The Sandy Bridge desktop CPUs were available. Then they announced the recall of the boards. Most retailers stopped selling the CPUs even though they didn't have to. The system builders also stopped selling laptops.

Now that fixed chipsets and boards are available in limited quantities, you will see more and more of them at retailers. Eventually, every retailer will be back at full stock, but it might take three or four weeks. System builders will once again be selling laptops, if they aren't already.