CPU'S getting stomped, even C2D's....

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I want an Xbox 360 Folding option, I never really use mine (a couple hours every few days at most), so I could leave the thing folding pretty much all day. As soon as I get a new video card and my pc becomes my main comp my macbook and emac are going on 24/7 folding duty.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Yeah, I want an Xbox 360 folding client, too. I'm on a different folding team that's ranked 29th, ^^ Anyway, it seems that on average GPU clients can do twice as much work per unit as a PS3, but the number of people doing it is so small.

This type of work is what the Cell processor excels at. However, stream processing, for the win.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I wish more people felt that way. I like competition, and Tom's has their own folding team. We are currently ranked 62nd in the world, and anyone who wants to help... please do

Don't really care about rank - it's all for a good cause but since I was planning on it anyway I'm Folding using Tom's team ID. I just put my core rig online and by the end of the week I'll have 13 machines going, even my HTPC....

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I'm going to load every computer at the community college /high school I work at with F@H. Imagine the massive score... :mrgreen:

Muhaha, that would be awesome. I wish my college would have the hundreds/thousands of computers around campus folding 24/7. The power use would spike like an f'in bandit, but it would be quite an impressive increase. Especially because I'd get them to do it under my UID, :lol:

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
how do you get into toms folding group? I ran F@H for a while but my poor throroughbred can't really handle it...gonna go for a e4300 soon as pricecuts come maybe brisbane if i can get one for 50 bucks 8)

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats
What in the world is a "TFLOPS"? Is it a measure of performance or actual work being done? So at the current rate (and ignoring different work units), are they saying that more work is being done by 30K PS3's than 200K other machines?

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html
Notice that for the few PS3 WU's being crunched, the atom count is in the hundreds, whle the atom count for PCs and others are in the thousands and tens of thousands..

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats
What in the world is a "TFLOPS"? Is it a measure of performance or actual work being done? So at the current rate (and ignoring different work units), are they saying that more work is being done by 30K PS3's than 200K other machines?
TFLOPS is the number to represent how many "Trillions of FLoating Operations Per Second" are being done; basically a measurement of work output.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Notice that for the few PS3 WU's being crunched, the atom count is in the hundreds, whle the atom count for PCs and others are in the thousands and tens of thousands..

PS3 work units are in the hundred thousands, 200,000 is avg. number i've seen people posting on the web, i'm sure they do larger ones because people are saying it takes 8-10hrs to fold. But when compared with a thousand or ten's of thousands work units most PCs get that take days to work out, you can see the CELL clearly pwns at this sort of work. I too use my x1900 to fold, so much nicer than the CPU because i can still web browse while i fold.

Side note, when you look at the CELL's 300Tflop performance, and compare the cost of the Stream Processors from nVidia and ATI, the CELL is much more efficient folder for the cost, being only a few hundred TFlops less than a GPU stream processor.

One last thing, if the PS3's are running F@H this well just imagine what the Opteron/CELL servers would do that are being built 8O

Edit: Grammar/Spelling

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

PS3 work units are in the hundred thousands, 200,000 is avg. number i've seen people posting on the web, i'm sure they do larger ones because people are saying it takes 8-10hrs to fold. But when compared with a thousand or ten's of thousands work units most PCs get that take days to work out, you can see the CELL clearly pwns at this sort of work. I too use my x1900 to fold, so much nicer than the CPU because i can still web browse while i fold.

Side note, when you look at the CELL's 300Tflop performance, and compare the cost of the Stream Processors from nVidia and ATI, the CELL is much more efficient folder for the cost, being only a few hundred TFlops less than a GPU stream processor.

One last thing, if the PS3's are running F@H this well just imagine what the Opteron/CELL servers would do that are being built 8O

Edit: Grammar/Spelling

I take it you don't have a dual-core processor? I used to fold on my laptop and I could still do all my normal tasks without any real noticeable degradation in performance. You should still be able to browse the Internet while folding with a typical single-core, though, :?

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
i have a dual core albeit a 939 Athlon X2, it still dragged down the system even with 2gb of RAM. I didn't put any kind of restrictions on the type of WU's so i've done a fairly good amount of large units, the shortest one i ever had took 26hrs. It choked my system pretty bad, but like i said x1900 = insane folding with minimal CPU drain

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
i have a dual core albeit a 939 Athlon X2, it still dragged down the system even with 2gb of RAM. I didn't put any kind of restrictions on the type of WU's so i've done a fairly good amount of large units, the shortest one i ever had took 26hrs. It choked my system pretty bad, but like i said x1900 = insane folding with minimal CPU drain

Interesting...I'm not about to speculate why, but I have two P4 folding machines, also without WU size or CPU usage restrictions that I can browse on. Hmmmm...I kind of find that odd. X2s aren't weak...they can dish it out.

Kind of odd sounding to me. But yeah, GPU folding is where the real folding could get done. If only I didn't have to pay for college...:(

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Work output? What? So they're saying that 30K PS3s are crunching ~4x 160K PCs? Well for some reason, PS3 TFLOPS just taken a whacking of -100. Maybe they initially overestimated..

200,000 what? Atoms per WU? I just linked you a summary page showing the PS3 WU's in the hundreds.. I guess it kind of balanaces out though since the PS3 deadlines are in a ~day while PC deadlines are longer. And excuse me if I'm not familiar with the graphs, more of a WCG person :wink:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
WU's aren't always equal in their size or complexity. They're not the best way to determine how much work is being done, but the TFLOPS are.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I just wonder how often people have their F@H running at home. Even if they do have it running 24/7 do they relegate it to 50% core utilization or 100%?

Personally I have my Opty 165 crunching through F@H for about ~240 ppd and its on 24/7 at 100% but I game alot on the weekend so it is subordinate to that.

I want a GeForce folding client ><

Also there are still P2's and Original Pentium's doing folding on folding farms, to think that a handful of multi core PS3's couldn't out do 10000 old CPU's is ridiculous. 8O

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

That's bs. I've got two clients running all day at 100% each on the pc (1graphical, 1console) and performance drop is "0" when set priority to "idle". So, cut the crap

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
That's bs. I've got two clients running all day at 100% each on the pc (1graphical, 1console) and performance drop is "0" when set priority to "idle". So, cut the crap

you need to chillax, and address people in a more respectable demeanor, the reason my system hangs is because i run graphical, and i give my client top priority as to fold faster. Now i don't use the CPU client anymore, and i should have stated the conditions in which i ran the client, my bad. Now your also running a CPU which makes mine look a snail on a drag strip, so there will be a considerable difference.

so how about next time you try to address someone you be a little more polite.