[SOLVED] CPU's getting super hot and I'm not sure why

Dec 10, 2020
To start off with, this is my first ground-up build, and my first ever time doing a liquid cooled system. In particular, I'm using an i7-10700k and a one-fan NZXT CPU liquid cooler. My idle is around 45-50 degrees, and most games put me up to 70-80, but cyberpunk has been shooting me to 90, where i notice performance drops as my CPU tries to cool itself.

Now, I'm running the game at almost max on a system that shouldn't be able to to do that (2070 super something letting me ray trace on ultra), but I'm concerned about the safety of my CPU. Are these numbers I should be expected, and I just need to invest in better cooling? My case is an NZXT h510 if that helps, with standard double fan in front, the cpu coolers fan on the back, and a standard fan on the top.

Last edited:

madchemist83

Distinguished
Imo none of 120mm aio is worth it. At that point might as well get air. Agree with bigger aio if you want looks and better performance. When you take your old cooler off check your thermal paste application to rule that out as well. Is your CPU overclocked?