Question CPUZ recognized 32GB Ram. Windows and Bios recognize 16

Dec 5, 2019
Hello! Long time Toms reader. First time poster. I'm a bit of a ways into troubleshooting this Ram issue. I'm wondering what other steps I could possibly take

Mobo; AsRock x99 extreme 4. 5820K stock clock (now) never had an issue with heat. Win 10 Pro. Recently upgraded. 64 bit.

This combo should allow me to use 128 gigs of Ram. Ram is same part number. bought a year or 2 apart but SAME product code. Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400mhz 8GB x4. Motherboard manual calls for A1 B1 C1 D1 for quad channel.

C1 and D1 never register with windows. But CPU-z reads it all. Saying dual now but a bit ago it was reading as quad channel. Mostly irrelevant as the system isn't registering it all. I've swapped all the cards in and out on the working slots and they all seem to function

I've done so far;
- updated bios to current. successful
-checked that Msconfig-boot-advanced Ram cap in unchecked
Memtest. no errors. Doubt its reading all the sticks.
-whiped cmos via battery on mobo, no change
-reseated Ram many times. Checked for port issues. none i can see. Cleaned ports with old clean toothbrush
-Reseated CPU. No pin issues. Didnt put cooler on as tight.

System is stable. I'm just not utilizing all the ram. I haven't tried D2 and C2, as the mobo manual doesnt list those as priority slots, But I would try that if someone on here thinks that would be helpful. I have heard about one side of the coolers ram slots not working properly. But I'm at a loss. Im exhausting the trooubleshooting processes I can find out there. My computer is my work and game station. And I need the support of the RAM chiefly for photo support.

Any direction would be helpful. Not sure if any other software will be of help for me

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019
Now I put one of the sticks in the non priority slot for quad channel on the non functioning side of the mobo and now for whatever reason the Stick in D1 is reading and utilized and the stick in D2 is not. I dont know why now it would choose to read D1. I just moved the other stiick from C1 to C2. I din't even touch the D1 stick

So now I have A1 B1 D1 going and stick in C2 is not reading

I take the stick from C2 which isnt reading and I put it in C1. The priority quad channel locations. CPU-z says 32 gigs and windows is back to saying 16!!

Why would 24 gigs work with the 4th stick of ram not being utilized in C2 But in A1 B1 C1 D1 its back to only seeing 16 gigs in windows and bios while CPUZ sees 32!

I swapped a few of the sticks and it seems like they all work. I think its starting to become apparent that the C1 slot is whats causing this. It reads in CPUZ but not on bios or. When I put a stick in the C1 slot my D1 slot stops being utilized or read in Windows. But CPUz says quad channel all 32 is there. I'm not certain why that is. But Im going to go back to A1 B1 D1 and experiment from there. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the Ram itself.

I realize this is probably bad form. But I'm not sure I fully answered my own question! If I have a bad C1 slot. How can I utilize that 4th stick? Putting it in the other slot A2 and C2 slots actually knocks the adjacent RAM inactive.

Last edited: