[SOLVED] CPUz reports PCI-E gen 4 on b450 motherboard

Solution
I think it's just reporting what the CPU is capable of. So it would technically be an error since it is in the mainboard tab.

Or then again maybe it's the more technically correct - and somewhat cynically so. The only thing that prevents Gen 4 operation is the BIOS doesn't initialize it for 400 series motherboards. So it would support Gen 4 (because of the CPU) if only it had a BIOS that did.
I think it's just reporting what the CPU is capable of. So it would technically be an error since it is in the mainboard tab.

Or then again maybe it's the more technically correct - and somewhat cynically so. The only thing that prevents Gen 4 operation is the BIOS doesn't initialize it for 400 series motherboards. So it would support Gen 4 (because of the CPU) if only it had a BIOS that did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminasitor
Solution
Hi everyone,
In my system have a b450 Tomahawk Max II paired with a R7 5800x. I believe that my motherboard does not support PCI-E gen 4 (even if my CPU does), but apparently CPU-Z disagrees. Is that a bug?
And yes I've checked on the bios and only up to PCI-E Gen 3 is available.

Here is what CPU-Z reports:
View: https://imgur.com/a/ehSf8hL
That CPU does but MB doesn't support PCIe v4 and is unlikely it ever will. For that you need 500 series MB.
No great loss unsless your GPU requires it.