[SOLVED] Cracking Noise with GPU Installation

Sep 28, 2020
I had just installed a fresh RTX 3090 in my system and I had a GPU anti-sag holder as well. I lifted up the end of the card while installed into the PCIE slot so that the holder could hold up the heavy end of it snuggly and I heard the faintest "crack" noise. Everything is running fine but I am paranoid I did something horrible like fracture the PCB. I know I could remove the cooler and take a look, but it's the FE model so I know it's going to be such a pain. I've read that PCB is actually quite flexible but I wanted to get some opinions from anyone willing to share here. Am I being paranoid or did I actually end up doing some damage?

Solution
Even if it's a pain, I'd remove the card and look at it. If you think it might be damaged, then contact nVidia (or the seller) with a view to RMA.
It should have a long warranty so you don't have to react immediately.
I think they are too heavy to hang off a pcie slot. I think nVidia should've supplied anti-sag brackets with all of them.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Even if it's a pain, I'd remove the card and look at it. If you think it might be damaged, then contact nVidia (or the seller) with a view to RMA.
It should have a long warranty so you don't have to react immediately.
I think they are too heavy to hang off a pcie slot. I think nVidia should've supplied anti-sag brackets with all of them.

Solution

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
its a good idea with any GPU and especially heavy ones like the 3090 to have the case on its side and insert the GPU vertically into the slot so that any excess weight will not be hanging in the air until you secure it.