[SOLVED] crackling audio after upgrading my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2021
This is my new build: (*are new components, the others are from my old build)

• Intel Core i5-11400
  • ASUS Prime B560M-A
  • OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM
  • Team T-Force Vulcan G 1 TB 2.5" SSD
Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Samsung SH-224FB DVD/CD Writer
* Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
ASUS MX239H 23" Full HD LCD Monitor

So after I put everything together, it works fine until a few days later when I started playing music.
There's a crackling noise coming from the speaker of my monitor whenever I use mouse to click on something while playing music.
(The monitor was plugged in the graphics card via HDMI)
This crackling noise also appears when I play games, usually during loading screen.

If I plug a speaker to the front panel 3.5mm jack, it is even worse.
However, if I plug it into the back panel, the noise is not there anymore.

I have already tested out different monitors, HDMI cables
changed mouse plug in ports, removed wifi adapter
updated graphics card driver, audio driver, BIOS
I also did a lot of research online.
Eventually I come to an assumption that either my motherboard or PSU is defective.
But I am still not sure about this.
I am going to buy a new PSU to test out.

However, if this doesn't work, then it should be my motherboard's problem.
Is there anyway to tell weather a motherboard is defective (I can send to ASUS for repair) or badly designed (can't do anything about this)?

I also heard that a lot of ASUS motherboards have this issue, is this true?

Solution
Try disconnecting the case front panel audio from the motherboard, there may be some interference.

I am not an audiophile or into audio stuff, but I do know that audio interference can go through wires from power cables and all sorts of other things and cause crackling etc. As the front audio is bad, that could be part of the problem, or all of it.

However, this would not account for the Audio via HDMI straight to the built in (Bang + Olufson) speakers in the monitor, or why you get the crackling when you use the mouse, which is why I am wondering if you have some kind of short that is affecting the audio.

Have you updated all of the drivers.? IMHO, this does not look like a driver issue, but it's worth ruling it out, and likewise...

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
So after I put everything together, it works fine until a few days later when I started playing music.

Was it working without the crackling for a few days and then started to crackle, or did you not notice it for a few days.?

Also, how are you getting your sound output, is it through speakers or headphones, is there anything else in between, such as an Amp, a splitter, an extension cable etc.?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021
Was it working without the crackling for a few days and then started to crackle, or did you not notice it for a few days.?

I did not notice.

Also, how are you getting your sound output, is it through speakers or headphones, is there anything else in between, such as an Amp, a splitter, an extension cable etc.?

just through the monitor with build in speakers, no other fancy stuff in between. Thanks.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Try disconnecting the case front panel audio from the motherboard, there may be some interference.

I am not an audiophile or into audio stuff, but I do know that audio interference can go through wires from power cables and all sorts of other things and cause crackling etc. As the front audio is bad, that could be part of the problem, or all of it.

However, this would not account for the Audio via HDMI straight to the built in (Bang + Olufson) speakers in the monitor, or why you get the crackling when you use the mouse, which is why I am wondering if you have some kind of short that is affecting the audio.

Have you updated all of the drivers.? IMHO, this does not look like a driver issue, but it's worth ruling it out, and likewise on the software front, make sure that ALL of your audio setting within Windows AND your drivers are set to defaults as there are options that boost the dB by +20, and "loudness equalization" etc that can all mess with sound levels and cause nasty sound artefacts.

Good luck.

Solution
Jun 13, 2021

Have you updated all of the drivers.? IMHO, this does not look like a driver issue, but it's worth ruling it out, and likewise on the software front, make sure that ALL of your audio setting within Windows AND your drivers are set to defaults as there are options that boost the dB by +20, and "loudness equalization" etc that can all mess with sound levels and cause nasty sound artefacts.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your advice.
Unfortunately, after I unplug the HD audio cable from the motherboard, the static noise is still there. There was no improvement at all.

So, that rules out the cable interference?

Maybe something's wrong with my graphics card? But it was fine before the upgrade, same as the PSU.

I still believe my motherboard is defective somehow, though ASUS promoted it by saying:

7132bd1c331e5f7f9a2fdb37b920e14c.JPG

Jun 13, 2021

Good luck.

Today, I switched out the RX580 GPU and put my old GTX960 in there and the noise was gone!!!!!
So it was my graphics card's problem. I'm gonna open another thread for the problem. Thanks.

Reactions: Why_Me
Status
Not open for further replies.