inconnaissable

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
Hi!
So a couple of months ago I accidentally pulled on the power cable of the PC Tower and ever since I've been hearing this crackling noise coming from the PSU. I've already had a problem about the computer not staying on for more than 15 mins at most before this happened.
Now, I'm just wondering if I should try or could I still turn on the PC without it causing any damage to the rest of the system. Or if that crackling noise had made any damage already?
I've never tried to turn it on again after that started. I just really really need something from the PC right now and the computer tech where I usually bring it to won't be available until next month.
Is it safe to turn it on again without bringing it to the technician first? I'm also wondering if I should try buying a new power cable first? Or should I just wait for it to get fixed?
Thanks to anyone who'll answer!

Solution
hi , I am an electrician and the noise you hear is quite common. It especially makes sense to me when you say that it crackles when you wiggle the power connection. I believe the problem is a loose or part burned out wire inside the power cord or plug. The noise is from electric arcing in the cable / plug. Try using a power cord from another appliance, they are the same connector.If you don't hear any further crackes I would think that the problem is resolved, and it SHOULD be ok to start he PC. Good Luck, tom

xSaturnityx

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
I don't think it is. The crackling sound stars before I even turn on the PC. I already hear it just by plugging it in or turning on the AVR. I don't even dare turn the PC on anymore. I'm more concerned about my hard drive right now though. Is that still fine?
Is it just one quick pop right when you plug it in or does it crackle a lot.

If it sounds like a lot of crackles and such then you might be having a grounding issue and something inside the psu is shocking itself or something/ discharging.

Your hard drive should be perfectly fine

inconnaissable

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
Is it just one quick pop right when you plug it in or does it crackle a lot.

If it sounds like a lot of crackles and such then you might be having a grounding issue and something inside the psu is shocking itself or something/ discharging.

Your hard drive should be perfectly fine
It's sounds like a lot of crackles. It stopped when I try to wiggle the power cord once too.
As long as my hard drive is fine, I'm okay. :) (I have lots of files that I wasn't able to back up before this started happening.) So thanks for answering :)

Mar 18, 2019
hi , I am an electrician and the noise you hear is quite common. It especially makes sense to me when you say that it crackles when you wiggle the power connection. I believe the problem is a loose or part burned out wire inside the power cord or plug. The noise is from electric arcing in the cable / plug. Try using a power cord from another appliance, they are the same connector.If you don't hear any further crackes I would think that the problem is resolved, and it SHOULD be ok to start he PC. Good Luck, tom

Reactions: inconnaissable
Solution

inconnaissable

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
I thought about replacing the power cord too but I don't want to spend extra if it ends up that I need to replace the psu entirely. Because I don't know if the cable will be compatible. (I found one lying around that isn't in use and it wasn't compatible.) I hope that I don't have to replace the psu entirely though. I'm just going to wait what the technician will say.

Thank you both for replying! :)