Question Crackling sound with hard drive, please help.

Cameron_turck

Prominent
May 10, 2020
Hi all

Recently my computer started making a crackling sound (very similar to the sound of a Geiger meter), initially I thought it was my PSU but thought of disconnecting my hard drive to see if the sound would persist. It’s an old sea gate hard drive that has been making scratching sounds for about a year now and my guess would be that the drive is close to 6-7 years of age. My PSU on the other hand is a fractal design ion+ 760w that isn’t even a year old. I have a video of the sound if anyone needs to hear but I wanted to know if it were the PSU, if anyone else has experienced this and if it were the PSU if it’s a one time thing or if it’s a recurring problem.

many thanks

Hi all

Recently my computer started making a crackling sound (very similar to the sound of a Geiger meter), initially I thought it was my PSU but thought of disconnecting my hard drive to see if the sound would persist. It’s an old sea gate hard drive that has been making scratching sounds for about a year now and my guess would be that the drive is close to 6-7 years of age. My PSU on the other hand is a fractal design ion+ 760w that isn’t even a year old. I have a video of the sound if anyone needs to hear but I wanted to know if it were the PSU, if anyone else has experienced this and if it were the PSU if it’s a one time thing or if it’s a recurring problem.

many thanks
Only you know what kind of disk setup you have.
Unplug the hdd and see if the noise goes away.

Cameron_turck

Prominent
May 10, 2020
Only you know what kind of disk setup you have.
Unplug the hdd and see if the noise goes away.
Hard drive was unplugged for the rest of the night and the noise didn’t come back, so I’m pretty sure it’s the hard drive that is nearing its death… just worried that it’s a once in a blue moon type of thing for my PSU though…