Craigslist deal for dell optiplex 760 came with core 2 quad q9400 starts up for 1 second and shuts back down usff

Railroadjohn

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
So to day i got 5 dell pc from craigslist for 20$(great deal)3 dell optiplex gx240 p4 ht ghz ram ? there all usff and when i mean all i got 5 usff pc's today, 1 dell optiplex gs270 spect?(cant open it) and a dell optiplex 760 512mbs ram upgraded 2 4gbs now and a core 2 duo sticker on the front but inside the cpu has core 2 quad marked on the top 2.66ghz q9400 the pc has a external psu and no hard drive but i see on dells website the optiplex 760 supports core 2 quad q9400 but nothing about if the usff version supports it it has a 240 watt psu so any ideas no big rush i have a amd fx 6100 oc 3.9ghz 8 gbs ram h10i water cooling kit and gtx 550ti for me to play with im just trying to turn that dell optiplex into a low end gaming pc to bring to friends houses to play a few games on mostly rust garrys mod left for dead 1-2 and some portal 2 you now low end games that dont need a lot to run at 24+ fps low-medium fps.

Railroadjohn

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
So i pluged in one of the dell optiplex sx 270 and it started up just fine ran went into the bios and bam sisel sound and smoke comes poring out the back of it i unplug it and open it to find smoke lingering around in it but no burn marks no were took every thing out looked at the psu no burn marks but there but i haven't checked inside of it i looked at there thermal compound is pink could it be fake or cheap compound because the dell ran fine with smoke coming out btw there was no dust inside the dell i cleaned thats out with a air compressor.