Question Crappy IGPU as second monitor, good idea?

testeras

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
2 monitors 75hz 1280x1024 19 inches.
1 is sitting in room and collecting dust, has black color burn in.
Should I connect it with my igpu, its hd 2000, will it be capable of basic browsing and youtube or a waste of power. Also how much ram should i allocate to it if im gonna use it.
Both monitors dvi port.
I5 2320
Rx 550
Ih61m prebuild lenovo.
4gb x2 ddr3 corsair and kingston.
Falcon flc 450l 450w
1 ssd, 2 hdd

testeras

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
Yes, you need the drivers for the IGPU to work properly. No it will not conflict with the AMD drivers.

Hi both monitors are working on startup.
But problem is monitors are working only on gpu power. So if i load youtube on igpu monitor it will use main gpu to render it.
It also uses rx 550 vram to render it

I wanted it to be seperate.
=
Igpu monitor to use igpu to render and gpu monitor to use gpu, but instead both monitors work from gpu power.

I let Windows update install igpu drivers.

Its 183mb hardware reserved and there is no option in bios to change it.

Here options in bios if i did something wrong
IMG-20230323-002248.jpg

IMG-20230323-002308.jpg

IMG-20230323-002319.jpg

IMG-20230323-002338.jpg

testeras

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
Is it even possible to have them run seperately?

I dont know if my previous message was understood, rx 550 works(usage and vram) for both outputs alone,
I want rx 550 to work only on main monitor and second monitor to use hd 2000 instead of rx 550.

testeras

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
Nevermind, i read on google that you can use only 1 device to display pcie and onboard video outputs, which is rx 550. Is this true?

DSzymborski

Titan
Nevermind, i read on google that you can use only 1 device to display pcie and onboard video outputs, which is rx 550. Is this true?

It's hard to gauge the accuracy of what you're reading when, instead of linking what you're reading or pasting a relevant passage, you just give us a description of something you read.

In any case, people use a monitor connected to a GPU and a monitor connected to the motherboard output to use the iGPU all the time. But perhaps there's a limitation on this specific prebuilt; prebuilts have all sorts of arbitrary restrictions built-in at times, which is one of the dozens or so reasons why people avoid them. Maybe there's information in what you read that's specific to this situation, but I don't know what you read.

But problem is monitors are working only on gpu power. So if i load youtube on igpu monitor it will use main gpu to render it.
It also uses rx 550 vram to render it

I wanted it to be seperate.
=
Igpu monitor to use igpu to render and gpu monitor to use gpu, but instead both monitors work from gpu power.
From what I can recall about which GPU renders the thing, either:
  • The window has to start on the monitor connected to the GPU you want rendering it or...
  • You have to go to Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics, find the app you want only to render on the iGPU, select its options, and select the iGPU.

testeras

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
From what I can recall about which GPU renders the thing, either:
  • The window has to start on the monitor connected to the GPU you want rendering it or...
  • You have to go to Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics, find the app you want only to render on the iGPU, select its options, and select the iGPU.
Igpu and Gpu both have 4GB allocated vram and 4GB shared system memory??
And i have 7.8gb ram available out of 8.
It looks to me that Gpu overwrited Igpu because those 4gb's allocated belong to rx 550. Only rx 550 can render and does render everything (both monitors and what happens on them).
Option in bios to change igpu vram does not exist. And bios does not show any information of igpu vram amount and information

Only motherboard is from prebuild and so bios with it, other components are not

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Igpu and Gpu both have 4GB allocated vram and 4GB shared system memory??
And i have 7.8gb ram available out of 8.
It looks to me that Gpu overwrited Igpu because those 4gb's allocated belong to rx 550. Only rx 550 can render and does render everything (both monitors and what happens on them).
Option in bios to change igpu vram does not exist. And bios does not show any information of igpu vram amount and information

Only motherboard is from prebuild and so bios with it, other components are not

None of this is how it works. The iGPU doesn't have any VRAM. It automatically takes system memory as it needs; there's no real purpose to specifying anything unless you have problems. And not only does an iGPU use system RAM, it also has no ability to start using the discrete GPU's VRAM.

I'm still not even sure there's a problem. Again, could you link to what you read that you couldn't use iGPU and a discrete GPU with this motherboard? Letting us actually see just what things you're referring to are would be far more helpful.

testeras

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
I want to run youtube on hd 2000 and games on rx 550.
I checked Display > Graphics settings as u said
and there is no igpu.
Youtube and games both load on rx 550.
Do u see problem now.

IMG-20230323-210530.jpg

And explain this image
Bro fr Intel uses that 4096 out of my bu**

Last edited:
Well if you want, you could try reinstalling the drivers by cleaning them first:
  • Download the latest compatible driver for the AMD GPU and Intel IGPU
  • Download DDU
  • Unplug the computer from the internet
  • Restart the computer in safe mode
  • Run DDU on both the Intel and AMD GPU drivers
  • Restart the computer
  • Install the GPU drivers (order shouldn't matter)
  • Restart the computer
  • Plug the computer back into the internet

testeras

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
It ate my 183mb of ram and bios doesnt say anywhere "hey intel graphics is using 183 hardware reserved ram" literally it just ate it and nowhere to see it or change it, then it copies stats of rx 550 onto itself which means gives rx 550 ownership of itself which makes it being unusable inside Windows (this is theory i didnt read this)

Moderator i read it from Quora answers and it was about using igpus and gpus in general, not for rx 550 and this mobo sorry for misunderstanding.

Last edited:

testeras

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
Shoud there be Gpu 0 and Gpu 1 in task manager??
There's only Gpu 0 which is RX550.
How is intel gpu even gonna render anything if it doesnt exist in task manager.

Part of me wants to say that's kind of hogwash because the HD 2000 uses a WDDM 1.x driver and Windows 10 at the minimum requires a GPU with WDDM 1.x support.

So I can't imagine why it wouldn't be compatible other than Intel was like "we're just going to let it refuse to run if it detects Windows 10"

Reactions: helper800

DSzymborski

Titan
Been to LTT forums, reason why it doesnt work is because hd 2000 is not supported on windows 10.

Like the rest of your problems, instead of simply guessing and constantly referring us to things you read that we can't read because you never actually link them, why not actually test these things?

You have Windows 10. You have an Intel HD 2000. Take out the GPU completely and see if you can run the PC just off the integrated graphics.

There's so much here that could have been tested or ruled out with just some simple A/B testing rather than all this strange speculation about how VRAM works or the iGPU "eating" RAM or the iGPU secretly taking over the RX 500 and "giving itself stats" like its an evil computer in a 1980s science fiction movie.

Reactions: helper800
The thing is "Support" mostly means "if you try to do this, we won't help you." It doesn't mean "it won't work at all." I mean way back when I manually installed a driver that was only good for Windows XP on a Windows Vista machine and the thing I used worked just fine.

I'd only give up on this if trying to manually install the drivers via Device Manager and pointing it to the driver fails.

testeras

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
Bro if it doesnt work i wont touch it end of story, i need answers why it doesnt work and fix, no that it could work or can work.

DSzymborski

Titan
There was time when i used hd 2000 when my previous gpu died so i can confirm that it works

The question is whether it's working properly now. That something worked properly at some indeterminate point in the past is not the slightest bit helpful.

In any case, given that you're extremely resistant to trying anything and prefer to simply speculate on some extremely odd theories, I don't think I can be any more help. I wish you the best of luck in resolving your PC issues to your satisfaction.