crappy motherboards?

Micah571

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
i just bought an ASUS A8v-VM SE and iv'e been having trouble getting games to work correctly. i have an xfx 8800 gts ,and the 1.25 GB of mem i have i tested and its fine, everything in the computer works right but games will slow down after a while and get really choppy and only get better when i restart. it also freezes the games up when the pci 1X wireless card is enabled. i have defraged and done registry cleans, and defrags. could this be the consequences of buying a cheap Mobo? ($49)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Have you run Memtest to check for RAM errors? Also, what are the exact specs of your PSU? It might not have enough juice on the 12v rails to power a GTS? What about your temps......are they ok? I ask that because you said it seems to get better after a restart.....things cool down during that time.

Micah571

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
i checked all these things, i have a 600W ocz psu and i've been running one of my house fans into the computer while im playing games and that cools everything down. and i have run mem test and found no errors
also, i am running a venice 3400+ with the stock fan and it runs cool

Micah571

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
im running oblivion and trying to run GRAW but GRAW will barely work unless i turn the graphics all the way down. (and thats the game that came with my 8800 gts!)
i have all the newest drivers for my sound card, vid card, and mobo chipset.
man this is wierd, i wonder if it has to do with crappy nvidia drivers for the the new 8800's

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
what OS are you using?? I'v heard vista drivers are pretty much screwed up right now.
Maybe you could try swapping the gpu to another pc to see if it's working properly