Crash and reboot

iwede

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
- windows xp pro sp3
- pc pentium III 800Mhz, VIA 694, memory 640MB, nVidia fx5200, HD1 seagate 40GB, HD2 WD 160GB, HD3 maxtor 40Gb
- problem:

Lately it always crash and reboot till 4-5 times before finally entering windows. It usually happens after big progress bar and before small progress bar.
At the blue screen the message problem I once noted was: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0103B351, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x870716191).
Lately either I failed to catch the bluescreen by Disable autorestart on error....., it displayed the bluescreen a second before restart. Because the error message someday showed different, and I wanna know those messages.
Before, the crash and reboot was always twice but now can be 4-5 times

Thanks for help

you have to do a repair install of XP, see the instructions in THIS forum, fourth post from the top.
I strongly recommend shutting off automatic updates to prevent the same problem from reoccurring. A lot of P3 computers will not handle the updates.
Use a professional antivirus such as Norton 360 or Panda Internet Security, and forget about the microsoft updates.

iwede

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Before doing that, I need to add some info:
- system viewer eventlog several often say error on disk and atapi with the message:
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D"
"A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort1"
- I entered BIOS and disabled cdrom (primary slave), when reboot a bluescreen with "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" appeared. I enabled again.

p.s. I always turn off the Automatic Update

Thanks again

iwede

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I came to a conclution that it was due to a combination of hardware failure and virus attack. First I was 'sure' it was hardware failure because I several times scan the system in safe mode and indeed was found some threats and then were deleted.
Even I changed the HDD with new installation, still had same problem. Then I noticed that some electrolite condensators nearby the processor had been slight 'swollen' and one is cracked at the bottom.
Well, I replace all- motherboard, processor and memory moduls-, and when booting still I faced death bluescreen with messages which I didn't want to pay attention at. I then did new os installation. Done!
The hardware problem I don't mind, but the sofware problem (virus or the death blue screen) I actually am still curious.
-.CASE IS CLOSED.-