Question Crash Dumps

Apr 18, 2022
Good morning!

Recently I have decided to get back into computer gaming as I have had some time off of work recently. I thought, great. I'll dust the computer off and get the new Elden Ring game. (Should have seen my face after seeing the price of games these days!). Everything was going well until the game suddenly crashed. I thought okay, must have been a one off moment. I'll try it again. About 30 mins or so into playing again, it crashes.

My first port of call I fell into was running the "SFC \Scannow" command and it came back clean, no problems there.
Then I did the "Chkdsk \Scannow" command and this came back with finding two corrupt files from which it cleaned and replaced.
Updated graphics drivers.
I also did a Windows Memory Diagnostic which came back clean aswell. No faults to worry about there.

I thought I'll try the game again and see if anything had changed but once again to no avail... It crashed. I checked event viewer to see if anything had come up error wise and the only thing I could find was "The system shutdown unexpectedly" and nothing that seemed to link to the game crashing.

I did however manage to find some more dump files named "Elden Ring" in a folder somewhere and think these may be the dump files I was looking for. I opened them up expecting the answer to be be-spode upon my eyes. Yes, I thought! Answers! No, oh how I was wrong. I was presented with a page of code that looked like someone had just pulled it from the Matrix. I can't read this code, god, I can just about read English and that's my native language!

Could someone who can read this technical tounge please review these files and explain to me what is going so wrong my computer is in such vast amounts of fear it freezes. I have linked the dump file to my Google Drive, hopefully it is viewable. If not, please let me know and I will change the settings.

ELDEN RING DMP FILE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E6aMbg36FpjqCSJvI7KUy3MOtOfJfoMI/view?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC? Dumps will show a little but not PSU or what hdd/ssd you have'

I will ask a friend to convert dumps. looking myself I am not sure he will get anything from those

Are they BSOD or is it just crashing?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Apr 18, 2022
what are specs of the PC? Dumps will show a little but not PSU or what hdd/ssd you have'

I will ask a friend to convert dumps. looking myself I am not sure he will get anything from those

Are they BSOD or is it just crashing?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX 6350
GPU: GTX 1060
RAM: x2 8GB Sticks of Corsair DDR3
MOBO: MSI 970A-G46
HDD: x2 932GB
PSU: Not quite sure how to find out which one I have. I'd have to take a trip into the loft to find the box.

I have uploaded the files you requested onto my Google Drive and have provided a link. I would be grateful if you could shed some light on the issue as it is rather annoying. I don't get much time to play anymore so it would be nice to spend the little time I have to do it actually playing the game and not fixing it.

The crashes aren't BSOD crashes, they're just freezes. Sometime if left long enough the game will close itself and it will let me resume using my computer after crashing and sometimes it will stay frozen until I manually shutdown the computer.

Minidumps Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-vDAUeKv6SUaPo2idzqDqtxbsO5dgifF/view?usp=sharing

Apr 18, 2022
I had sent the links to a friend before I realized they might not be the right dumps. He will look later

not easily seen in PC case? Mine hides behind a PSU Shroud but I can see its name on backplate of PC as well.
It's not unfortunately. I have the computer set up downstairs in an area way out of the dogs reach, I did just go into the loft to have a look though and the only one I could find up there was a box for an ATX 650Watt power supply. It must be that one.

What do you mean not the right dumps, have I sent the wrong ones?

Colif

Win 11 Master
What do you mean not the right dumps, have I sent the wrong ones?
i don't know what the contents of the 1st link you gave me are, I can't look in them but my friend can.
the minidumps look okay.

Knowing make/model of PSU might help as well. But there is no rush as my friend will be asleep for a few more hours at least now.
Name of PSU may not matter at all, depends on results of dumps :)

Apr 18, 2022
i don't know what the contents of the 1st link you gave me are, I can't look in them but my friend can.
the minidumps look okay.

Knowing make/model of PSU might help as well. But there is no rush as my friend will be asleep for a few more hours at least now.
Okay awesome sounds good. The contents of the first link given are the crash dumps that the game has given me I think. It doesn't always seem to give me one though. Only sometimes. Admittedly the system could probably do with updating. Some of the parts inside are over 5 years old bless them. Computer parts and games are so expensive now, it's crazy.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/2nkmtbeu/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:032822-25109-01.dmp (Mar 27 2022 - 15:00:16)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER (F7)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

File information:032722-23062-01.dmp (Mar 27 2022 - 14:10:02)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

File information:eldenring.exe.6212.dmp (Apr 16 2022 - 15:59:56)
Driver/file warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for EOSSDK-Win64-Shipping.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvwgf2umx.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for EOSOVH-Win64-Shipping.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for MessageBus.dll
Probably caused by: (Process running at time of crash: eldenring.exe)
BIOS info was not included in the dumps. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Apr 18, 2022
the minidumps look okay.

I ran Memtest last night before heading off to bed to see if it could determine if there was any issues regarding my RAM as I thought maybe this could be an issue.

Woke up this morning and checked on the computer and it had the word "Pass" in big green letters splayed across the screen. I'm guessing my RAM isn't an issue here if it has passed

What would be the next best steps to try do you recommend?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Apr 18, 2022
2nd crash mentions readyboost
Do you have any USB drives in PC?

so two 1 TB hdd?

readyboost makes hdd seem faster, but its not useful if you have ssd or faster. I am surprised its still around.

crash 3 from elden ring is not very useful. it blames elden ring. Its not a windows dump though so i can't really use it.
Hi Colif,

I'm not quite sure what ready boost is so I wouldn't be sure if I have that installed and working or not. Sorry for this.

I believe so yes, there is two HDD inside the computer from which I believe both to be 932GB. I will confirm this shortly.

I have 3 USB installed at the moment.
X1 Keyboard
X1 Mouse
X1 Xbox controller (Trying to okay Elden Ring on mouse and keyboard is like trying to mash potatoes with a knife)

At the moment I've ran a test on both the HDD using HDDscan to check for problems. It's just testing the second now. The first I believe passed with no bad sectors.

Any other information needed please ask and I shall provide.

Apr 18, 2022
ready boost is part of windows. it was a running process at time of the last crash.
it just doesn't make any sense based on 3 devices running. Its meant to be for storage
does xbox controller have an memory stick in it?
Oh okay, well I could always attempt to disable Ready Boost and see if this makes a difference.

Xbox controller doesn't have a USB stick in it, it simply just plugs into the back of the computer via the USB port that is all.

The HDD checker completed over night and found no problems with the HDD either.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you shouldn't need to disable it, I am still wondering if its used for something else.
Also wonder if I am being sidetracked.

dump 1 only shows one driver running at time of the crash. Nvidia.
I would run ddu in safe mode and reinstall Nvidia drivers

Apr 18, 2022
you shouldn't need to disable it, I am still wondering if its used for something else.
Also wonder if I am being sidetracked.

dump 1 only shows one driver running at time of the crash. Nvidia.
I would run ddu in safe mode and reinstall Nvidia drivers
Okay I'll try this once I'm home from work and hope that this helps. I'll re-install all the Nvidia drivers and try to see if the system decides to crash again.

As soon as I have done so l, I'll reply on this post to let you know the results.

Thank you.

Good morning!

Recently I have decided to get back into computer gaming as I have had some time off of work recently. I thought, great. I'll dust the computer off and get the new Elden Ring game. (Should have seen my face after seeing the price of games these days!). Everything was going well until the game suddenly crashed. I thought okay, must have been a one off moment. I'll try it again. About 30 mins or so into playing again, it crashes.

My first port of call I fell into was running the "SFC \Scannow" command and it came back clean, no problems there.
Then I did the "Chkdsk \Scannow" command and this came back with finding two corrupt files from which it cleaned and replaced.
Updated graphics drivers.
I also did a Windows Memory Diagnostic which came back clean aswell. No faults to worry about there.

I thought I'll try the game again and see if anything had changed but once again to no avail... It crashed. I checked event viewer to see if anything had come up error wise and the only thing I could find was "The system shutdown unexpectedly" and nothing that seemed to link to the game crashing.

I did however manage to find some more dump files named "Elden Ring" in a folder somewhere and think these may be the dump files I was looking for. I opened them up expecting the answer to be be-spode upon my eyes. Yes, I thought! Answers! No, oh how I was wrong. I was presented with a page of code that looked like someone had just pulled it from the Matrix. I can't read this code, god, I can just about read English and that's my native language!

Could someone who can read this technical tounge please review these files and explain to me what is going so wrong my computer is in such vast amounts of fear it freezes. I have linked the dump file to my Google Drive, hopefully it is viewable. If not, please let me know and I will change the settings.

ELDEN RING DMP FILE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E6aMbg36FpjqCSJvI7KUy3MOtOfJfoMI/view?usp=sharing
looks like the game tried to write to memory address zero (null pointer)
this will cause an access violation and crash the game.
E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ELDEN RING\Game\eldenring.exe
Timestamp: Sat Mar 19 00:57:07 2022

I would check for updates and disable any various game utilities like overlays. I would also be looking at your windows control panel device manager for misconfigured sound devices. (just as a guess of a likely failure point)

only thing that looked wrong in your game dump was
nvcamera app pulling some old file from 2013
d3dcompiler_47_64.dll Thu Aug 22 04:15:54 2013
guess it is "Camera control and photo capture"
you might disable it. the bug looks like the game was trying to communicate with another program at the time of failure.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022
looks like the game tried to write to memory address zero (null pointer)
this will cause an access violation and crash the game.
E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ELDEN RING\Game\eldenring.exe
Timestamp: Sat Mar 19 00:57:07 2022

I would check for updates and disable any various game utilities like overlays. I would also be looking at your windows control panel device manager for misconfigured sound devices. (just as a guess of a likely failure point)

only thing that looked wrong in your game dump was
nvcamera app pulling some old file from 2013
d3dcompiler_47_64.dll Thu Aug 22 04:15:54 2013
guess it is "Camera control and photo capture"
you might disable it. the bug looks like the game was trying to communicate with another program at the time of failure.
I've checked for updates and didn't seem to find any. Nothing seems to be telling me it needs to be updated.

How would I go about disabling the "Camera control and photo capture" function also?
I believe the only game overlay that could have been used at that time would have been the one from Nvidia Gforce Experience or Steam itself. I'll try to disable them.

I've just got back from work so I'm going to do as Colif suggested and then I will disable the game overlays. Hopefully this will sort everything out nicely.

Thanks, all the best!

I've checked for updates and didn't seem to find any. Nothing seems to be telling me it needs to be updated.

How would I go about disabling the "Camera control and photo capture" function also?
I believe the only game overlay that could have been used at that time would have been the one from Nvidia Gforce Experience or Steam itself. I'll try to disable them.

I've just got back from work so I'm going to do as Colif suggested and then I will disable the game overlays. Hopefully this will sort everything out nicely.

Thanks, all the best!
you will have to look in steam options or maybe in the nvidia software or in xbox game settings to see if you have anything that can be recording your video and auto streaming. Then turn it off if you are not actually using it.

I took a quick look at the two bugcheck but these are most likely just red herrings since the system up time was only a few seconds. IE more likely your system rebooted due to the motherboard protections circuits then restarted without a delay and caused each of these bugchecks. generally, you need to find out what triggered the motherboard to reset the cpu. Most often this happens with overheating of a GPU or CPU. Sometimes with secondary power connections to a GPU not being connected or being connected from a power supply lead that was already in use. (splitter being used)

I have seen cases where the power connector was pushed out of the plastic holder when the connector was inserted. Some cases where the GPU need two connectors but only one was plugged in.

I had only looked at the user mode dump of the game. it was strange all the third party files were pretty current except that one file for the nvidia camera software. the elden ring software was trying to communicate with another program and got a response that was bogus and ended making a bad system call. there was only a address no module listed so I have no Idea who owned the resource. Sorry, I have not debugged user mode stuff since the early 1990's so I could not make much of the game dump. it did look like it was making a log. maybe you can find it.
I am not sure where it would be located. maybe in a steam directory or in the hidden appdata directories.
===========
edit take a look at this logfile location for a log
run
notepad "c:\program files (x86)\steam\gameoverlayrenderer.log"
and
notepad "c:\program files (x86)\steam\gameoverlayUI.exe.log"

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022
you will have to look in steam options or maybe in the nvidia software or in xbox game settings to see if you have anything that can be recording your video and auto streaming. Then turn it off if you are not actually using it.

I took a quick look at the two bugcheck but these are most likely just red herrings since the system up time was only a few seconds. IE more likely your system rebooted due to the motherboard protections circuits then restarted without a delay and caused each of these bugchecks. generally, you need to find out what triggered the motherboard to reset the cpu. Most often this happens with overheating of a GPU or CPU. Sometimes with secondary power connections to a GPU not being connected or being connected from a power supply lead that was already in use. (splitter being used)

I have seen cases where the power connector was pushed out of the plastic holder when the connector was inserted. Some cases where the GPU need two connectors but only one was plugged in.

I had only looked at the user mode dump of the game. it was strange all the third party files were pretty current except that one file for the nvidia camera software. the elden ring software was trying to communicate with another program and got a response that was bogus and ended making a bad system call. there was only a address no module listed so I have no Idea who owned the resource. Sorry, I have not debugged user mode stuff since the early 1990's so I could not make much of the game dump. it did look like it was making a log. maybe you can find it.
I am not sure where it would be located. maybe in a steam directory or in the hidden appdata directories.
===========
edit take a look at this logfile location for a log
run
notepad "c:\program files (x86)\steam\gameoverlayrenderer.log"
and
notepad "c:\program files (x86)\steam\gameoverlayUI.exe.log"
Hi,

So I've done everything as asked and everything seemed to be okay for a few days or so however upon closing the game Windows seems to crash. It doesn't happen every time but I'm not quite sure as to why it would crash when it's closing.