[SOLVED] Crash for good after adding a 3080Ti and testing it? How to check what's gone rogue?

janos

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Greetings guys,

long story short, a friend I sometimes help with plugging in hardware stuff into his PC just bought a new graphics card. I did unplug and remove the old one and added the newer one. Everything ran like a charm, as usual, he even did a view tests with a mid-end graphics game (Coh2) and nothing odd was happening. So he went back home, we started the PC again and still everything fine. Yet today, after I'm home now again, he reported that he just launched another game (VHS?) and the PC then shut down for good. I asked him, but there wasn't any smell of burned material he was aware of, but I couldn't be 100% sure if he just didn't miss a bit, bc in summer everybody has their room fans running. wich drag away smell pretty fast. Well let's assume he was right and it didn't smell of burned material, what can we do to find out what's the reason it doesn't turn on again?

I already ordered a new PSU to change, as it's definitely a reason for the PC to not turn on again, but do you have another idea I should check as soon as I have that thing in front of me again?

The rig is:
  • GA-x99 Gaming 5 Mainboard 2011-v3
  • CPU Intel Core i7 5820K 2011-v3
  • BeQuiet PSU 700 Watts
  • about 5 HDDs, one SSD
  • Nvidia 3O8O Ti (only new device added; assumed to use up to ~460watts at maximum performance, so most probably should've worked out...)
Yes, the core is older, but it's been high end back in the day and we have a twin PC running with the same rig - except it hosting a Nvidia 2080 Super - like a charm. I've read of GPUs shutting down PCs if not getting enough power, but mostly the PC can be turned on again after such an incident...

Please help us out here, we're kinda poking around in the dark right now...

janos

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Mh. What's the conclusion then? I quickly ordered a 750Watts PSU today, but as you frame it, it sounds to me even that would be too small, can you be a bit more precise please?

Last edited:

janos

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks for the quick response. I've been cancelling the 750 and ordered the 850 meanwhile.

So hence the GPU seemed to have reached out for a spike that the PSU couldn't supply it with, what's the most probably reason the PC doesn't work/turn on anymore? May it be the PSU only? How likely is it that other parts are involved in that case, like the GPU itself?

D

Deleted member 362816

This is what I was ordering, though. Having the 750watts one for the 2080 super on the twin PC of ours and it worked good so far. Is there anything wrong with it?

"REVOLUTION D.F. 850 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Full-Modular Power Supply"
https://www.enermax.com/en/products/revolution-d.f.-850w
It's a good PSU but multi-rail 12v. Make sure you connect the GPU the right way with separate cables to separate 12v rails.

Reactions: janos

janos

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
It's a good PSU but multi-rail 12v. Make sure you connect the GPU the right way with separate cables to separate 12v rails.
That's goot to know, yet I can't tell for sure if I'd be in need to order extra cables or if they're within the box already. There's a product pic though on the page (Amazon) as well, that might tell... Can you confirm it being part of the standard box or do we have to order it extra?

janos

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
The PSU comes with 3 PCI-e cables.
Ok, sounds like a heads-up; so instead having me make the mistake of using a forked cable with two 8-pins(P8?) on it you wanted to warn to better use a cable with one 8-pin each, (ofc multiplicated by factor 3, as the GPU needs three of them) correct?

Last edited:

janos

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Sounds great good luck and keep us updated.

To update the progress I can actually make without having parts to switch:

The whole process needed some time though now, but it turned out that at least the PSU didn't suffer from a short-circuit in the very end. Can't tell for any other parts for sure yet.

What I did this evening:
(...) skipping to important tests that brought progress (...)
First I re-plugged the old GPU from before and to my surprise it started perfectly normal. This brought me to switch the GPU back to the Nvidia card it crashed before with a performance-spiking game running.

This also worked again! Yet I am still not 100% sure if the GPU is undamaged and still allright, as I didn't wanna provoke another shutdown with starting a performance intense program until I get the 850-PSU. But what made me wondering was: When launching the PC, the GPU fans where starting as normal in BIOS, yet after W10 was fully loaded up the fans stopped in simple desktop environment.

You need to know, that the screen's resolution I had the tests running on only was 1680x1050 and I also don't know for sure NVidia cards' idle behaviour, so is it normal that under these cold-start conditions, with a low resolution monitor running on desktop mode only, no fan is turning? Had it runnning for about 5 minutes until I decided to turn it off again for today and wait for the PSU as a next step. When it re-entered the BIOS, while shutting down, the fans quickly started turning again for few secs until shutting down eventually with the entire system, as ordered to.

I've become carefully optimistic since you never know really unless you were able to counter-check everything, so not cheering too loud right here and also passed on that results in the same manner to my friend.

Last edited:

janos

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
So eventually and essencially summarized, we switched the PSU yesterday and he now is still testing the whole setting slowly to its full capacity. There apparently were some heat stumble stones we were carefully monitoring with Speedfan to see if the case is good enough for cooling this monster of a card. Apparently it's having a hard time with it, climbing above 85°C some time when the side hatch is closed. So we decided to remove it and give the whole case some more options to get rid off the hot air.

He again is playing something called VHS (yeah, like the cassettes back then) and reporting that in main menu it's getting up to 80° while after launching a session from there, it's cooling down to about 60° then. So I guess it's a thing to keep an eye on, bc apparently the card shouldn't exceed 85°C in general.

As far as I can report until now, everything else seems okay for the time being. If any new experiences or news occur I'm going to bring them up here ofc, but for now it's a test-in-progress. No matter what, I'd like to thank you for your time, guys and please bear with me if things happen and I'm returning again asking for advice. :sweatsmile:

Yes use three seperate cables, first 8pin connector from each cable.
Thanks for clarification, I hoped I understood it correctly this way and did so while plugging in following common instincts in this!

Reactions: Vic 40