Question Crash/Freeze problem with RTX 3080Ti... maybe?

Dweagar

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
Installed an ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti a couple months ago, ever since, been having random freezes/crashes. This only happens in a game, never while doing anything else. When it freezes, I have to power off the computer and power it back on. After the post-freeze power cycle, the computer operates normally.
PSU is sufficient to support the GPU.
Power is stable (new home, stable breaker, surge and power protected)
Card runs under load well below max temp (typically around 50c)

CPU: i7-8700k
RAM: 32gb
PSU: 750w

Links to screen crash & typical operating temp:
Click here for pictures

Dweagar

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
Which question was that? You asked if I used Afterburner.. I use ASUS GPU Tweak II, which does everything Afterburner does.

But if it were a PSU issue, why does the issue not manifest after a post-crash power cycle?

You were asked earlier in the thread in the very first response which exact power supply because 750w might be cutting it fine with the card you have.

This is a relevant question, especially if you have an EVGA power supply or some cheapo thing.

If you can provide that answer, great. Google 30 series transient power spikes and you'll realise why you're being asked this question.

Dweagar

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
In that regard, it is highly likely that this is a "cheapo" PSU. It was a best buy purchase under a cyberpowerpc brand name, I doubt they put that much thought and consideration into their PSU brands.

Dweagar

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017
I actually pulled the PSU out and looked at it.. says its a 800W PSU made by "High Power" , which according to other posts on this website, is made by Sirtec.
I removed the card from my computer and replaced it back with my old 1080Ti to see if I get any of the original issues with the 3080Ti.. so far, its been stable.