Question Crash/freeze when playing specific games

Nomis25

Prominent
Sep 16, 2019
About 2 years ago i decided to build my own PC. Long story short it didn't really work out, as i thought it was easier than it actually was.
I did end up finishing it and it has been running great! After approximately 1 year my PC started crashing, like a full freeze, sound aswell, when playing Risk of Rain 2, sometimes i would get a bluescreen with a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION code, and sometimes it would just freeze and i would need to "hard-reboot" it.

So i decided to try other games, no crashes after lots of gaming...

I stopped playing RoR2, and it stopped crashing. Recently i came back to RoR2 and even after several hours of playing, no crashes.
Then i started this new game called Genshin Impact few months ago, and what happens, PC crashes the exact same way. This is after like 1 month of playing Genshin Impact, no changes on PC made the entire time.

I decide to do something about this, i contact friends, i send it to repair, i replace components (see current components further down). I end up replacing almost everything. It ran great for a few months, but today, it happened again, twice. Same game (Genshin Impact), same crash, what the <Mod Edit>. I am completely confused about what is happening.

It's not happening in other games. I tried not running in fullscreen, put settings down etc, and really searched google dry for fixes, but surely this is not a game problem but a hardware problem yes?
I can play for several hours with nothing happening and sometimes it crashes after 20 minutes, and sometimes i can go a full week with no problems.

I am not a computer wiz what so ever, so if i forgot something, sorry.

What i've tried (i might have forgotten something):
• Memtest (4 times)
• Tried different GPU, PSU, RAM from another PC, and still crashed
• Replaced PSU and motherboard
• It's not overheating, 50-70 degrees when crashing, bought more fans anyway
• Applied new paste on CPU
• Checked for bend pins on motherboard
• Cleaned my SSD's and my HDD completely
• Updated drivers
• Tried with no keyboard or mouse, so no USBs plugged in
• Tried different monitors, both 1 and 2 plugged in

Components:
PSU: NZXT C-Series C650 - 650W 80+ Gold (completely new)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (old)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz (2 years old)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 3000 MHz / PC4-24000 - CL15 - 1.35 V (2 years old)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z390-P (completely new)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (2 years old)
System: Windows 10 PRO

Last edited by a moderator:

Nomis25

Prominent
Sep 16, 2019
Sounds like a software issue to me. Either the game itself (has the game updated recently?), or maybe a Windows update? You should do a google search on it to see if anyone else is having the problem.
Yeah the game updates quite often, but i couldn't say for sure. Windows also updated recently.
I think i ran out of things to ask google at this point hehe. But thank you for the answer, i will check up on my software.

Nomis25

Prominent
Sep 16, 2019
Genshin Impact requires online connectivity. So connectivity issues (and poor coding) could be causing the crash.
You need to be able to duplicate the crashing offline. What happens if you loop Unigine Valley for 15, 30, 60 mins? Any crashes?
Hey, thanks for the answer! I tried Unigine Valley and ran it for an hr with no problems.