peter

Hi,

Just a few months ago I built a PC with the following Spec

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8ST800
Processor: Intel P4 1.8a GHZ/ 400 Mhz bus speed / Intel sSpec Number:
SL68Q
Ram: Crucial 128MB / 333 Mhz DDR / cL 2.5
Hard drive: Maxtor (3.5 series) 40GB, Fireball 3, ATA 133 HDD

However it keeps crashing randomly (sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes
after an hour).

The first thing I noticed is that if I leave it downloading something
from the internet I will continue working for days, So I deduced that
it only crashes when there is some keyboard or mouse interaction, so I
have changed the keyboard and mouse to use USB instead of PS2, however
it still crashes. when there is a lot of interaction. I have even
installed an extra fan incase it was getting to hot but still keeps
crashing.

I have no idea weather to change the motherboard or the processor or
the hard drive.

Is there anyway tools that can help me pin point the faulty hardware?

Please guide me.

Thanks,
Peter

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

You did not mention your OS?
What program are you 'interacting' with when it crashes?

peterxspam@hotmail.com (Peter) said:

> Is there anyway tools that can help me pin point the faulty hardware?

try this first, let it run overnight
http://www.memtest86.com/

--
Mac Cool

peter

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<0o1Ac.4$77.1@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> You did not mention your OS?
> What program are you 'interacting' with when it crashes?

I have tried 2 operating systems windows 2000 and windows xp it
crashes in both of them.

There is no specific program, sometimes I may click on the start menu
and it crashes, sometimes I am using internet explorer or other
applications. The only pattern I can see is that it only crashes when
I interact with the PC, If I leave it on or leave it to download
something it can go for days without crashing. (thats once I start
downloading without it crashing first)

> "Peter" <peterxspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a few months ago I built a PC with the following Spec
> >
> > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8ST800
> > Processor: Intel P4 1.8a GHZ/ 400 Mhz bus speed / Intel sSpec Number:
> > SL68Q
> > Ram: Crucial 128MB / 333 Mhz DDR / cL 2.5
> > Hard drive: Maxtor (3.5 series) 40GB, Fireball 3, ATA 133 HDD
> >
> > However it keeps crashing randomly (sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes
> > after an hour).
> >
> > The first thing I noticed is that if I leave it downloading something
> > from the internet I will continue working for days, So I deduced that
> > it only crashes when there is some keyboard or mouse interaction, so I
> > have changed the keyboard and mouse to use USB instead of PS2, however
> > it still crashes. when there is a lot of interaction. I have even
> > installed an extra fan incase it was getting to hot but still keeps
> > crashing.
> >
> > I have no idea weather to change the motherboard or the processor or
> > the hard drive.
> >
> > Is there anyway tools that can help me pin point the faulty hardware?
> >
> > Please guide me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter

I don't know much about P4 but I reckon I'd have about 4 times that much
memory?
BruceM

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> You did not mention your OS?
> What program are you 'interacting' with when it crashes?
> "Peter" <peterxspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a few months ago I built a PC with the following Spec
> >
> > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8ST800
> > Processor: Intel P4 1.8a GHZ/ 400 Mhz bus speed / Intel sSpec Number:
> > SL68Q
> > Ram: Crucial 128MB / 333 Mhz DDR / cL 2.5
> > Hard drive: Maxtor (3.5 series) 40GB, Fireball 3, ATA 133 HDD
> >
> > However it keeps crashing randomly (sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes
> > after an hour).
> >
> > The first thing I noticed is that if I leave it downloading something
> > from the internet I will continue working for days, So I deduced that
> > it only crashes when there is some keyboard or mouse interaction, so I
> > have changed the keyboard and mouse to use USB instead of PS2, however
> > it still crashes. when there is a lot of interaction. I have even
> > installed an extra fan incase it was getting to hot but still keeps
> > crashing.
> >
> > I have no idea weather to change the motherboard or the processor or
> > the hard drive.
> >
> > Is there anyway tools that can help me pin point the faulty hardware?
> >
> > Please guide me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter

peter

Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns950AF37D76B45MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
> peterxspam@hotmail.com (Peter) said:
>
> > Is there anyway tools that can help me pin point the faulty hardware?
>
> try this first, let it run overnight
> http://www.memtest86.com/

Ok I have run memtest86 for the last 2 days but still no errors it
passed through ~1000 tests. Any other suggestions?

peter

Hi Bruce,

I have now added 512MB more ram and it still crashes. I now have 640MB ram.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter

peterxspam@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote in message news:<8fd5558c.0406190152.2605d405@posting.google.com>...
> Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns950AF37D76B45MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
> >
> > try this first, let it run overnight
> > http://www.memtest86.com/
>
> Ok I have run memtest86 for the last 2 days but still no errors it
> passed through ~1000 tests. Any other suggestions?

Try Gold Memory, www.goldmemory.cz, and Microsoft's memory diagnostic,
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe. If your memory passes all 3,
then the crashes are probably caused by something else, such as a bad
Windows driver. Also try removing software until the crashes stop.

peterxspam@hotmail.com (Peter) said:

> Ok I have run memtest86 for the last 2 days but still no errors it
> passed through ~1000 tests. Any other suggestions?

When you say it crashes or freezes on mouse or keyboard action, can you be
more specific? Can you check the CPU temperature in the bios immediately
after a crash?

--
Mac Cool

Just for fun I would remove your original stick of memory as it CAN be only
one particular address in that stick that is causing the crash. Highly
likely after all the tests you have done but worth the test.
As you have eliminated most other things, the next thing that is the most
likely problem is the motherboard itself. Be good if you could borrow a P4
board from a friend & swap ALL (& I mean ALL!) of your gear onto it.
Pity we can't hold a poll here but I reckon 80% would go for memory & 19% go
for motherboard. If you have eleminated memory then .................... ?
By the way, try leaving that original memory slot empty?
BruceM

> Hi Bruce,
>
> I have now added 512MB more ram and it still crashes. I now have 640MB
ram.
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know much about P4 but I reckon I'd have about 4 times that much
> > memory?
> > BruceM
> >
> > "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > > You did not mention your OS?
> > > What program are you 'interacting' with when it crashes?
> > > "Peter" <peterxspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Number:

By the way........ what video card are you using?
BruceM

?
> By the way, try leaving that original memory slot empty?
> BruceM
>

> "Peter" <peterxspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Bruce,
> >
> > I have now added 512MB more ram and it still crashes. I now have 640MB
> ram.
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter
> >
> > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I don't know much about P4 but I reckon I'd have about 4 times that
much
> > > memory?
> > > BruceM
> > >
> > > "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Number:

> sometimes

> something
> that
> however

> hardware?

Also what audio card? Like maybe an Audigy.
Are you using anything like Mouseware that could be uninstalled?

do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com (do_not_spam_me) said:

>> Ok I have run memtest86 for the last 2 days but still no errors it
>> passed through ~1000 tests. Any other suggestions?
>
> Try Gold Memory, www.goldmemory.cz, and Microsoft's memory diagnostic,
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe. If your memory passes all 3,
> then the crashes are probably caused by something else, such as a bad
> Windows driver. Also try removing software until the crashes stop.

Do you work in tech support?
--
McQualude

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> said:

> Also what audio card? Like maybe an Audigy.

Do the Audigys have problems similiar to the Live cards? The Live cards
had issues with some Via based motherboards that would cause crashes. I
was one of the unlucky bastards that had the problem and it took almost a
year before Creative admitted there was a problem, promptly blaming VIA,
who blamed Creative and the problem was never solved. I solved it by
buying a different brand of sound card.
--
Mac Cool

> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> said:
>
> > Also what audio card? Like maybe an Audigy.
>
> Do the Audigys have problems similiar to the Live cards? The Live cards
> had issues with some Via based motherboards that would cause crashes. I
> was one of the unlucky bastards that had the problem and it took almost a
> year before Creative admitted there was a problem, promptly blaming VIA,
> who blamed Creative and the problem was never solved. I solved it by
> buying a different brand of sound card.
> --
> Mac Cool

I have a M/B with Intel chipset. With the Audigy installed(drivers only) I
usually get random muting of the audio in ATI MMC just from moving the mouse
and occaionally(but rarely) extra input in other situations. This does not
happen when the onboard soundcard is used.

TRENDING THREADS