[SOLVED] Crash problems.

Nov 10, 2020
I have been having off and on crashing problems out of my new build I put together about 3 months ago.
I lose display in my monitor usually after waking it up from sleep and no amount of button pressing brings it back. It requires a hard reset at that point.
I recently replaced the video card believing that may be the problem but it persisted. I then noticed a yellow light on the MB that the manual attributed to memory problems. So I took out all the ram and tried to test each stick one by one, playing the same game that crashes it every time. It crashed on every stick.
My next step was to change slots... it still continues to crash on other slots.
My equipment is on surge protectors as well as I unplug it when a storm is coming too so I don't think it is power surge related.
My question is how likely it is that the motherboard is bad and needs to be replaced or that just all of my RAM sticks are all bad.
Unfortunately I don't have any other compatable sticks to test with or that would be my next step.
I have never done anything to overclock any of my system or change any bios settings, so I don't think resetting CMOS will do anything.
Any advice for me?

Solution
yep, id stray away from used motherboards but i doubt its a factor. did you try a different outlet then the one you're trying to get the rig working on perhaps? I mean if you changed motherboard and psu, id probably be somewhat suspicious of the cpu at that point, but im not super experienced so I'd probably wait for someone more experienced to suggest something useful. No clue what motherboard model you are referencing, but some do have LED lights that will turn on without cpu installed indicating power, have you looked at the cpu for any visible damage by any chance, like bent pins etc?

I also doubt it has anything to do with the outlet you're using either as they all probably are properly grounded and giving enough power, but...

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
You can try burning memtest to a dvd/cd or copying to a usb and booting from that to see if the sticks give inversion errors for a more definitive answer. Also you might want to manually set the timing for the ram in the bios to match what the ram specs are, a personal experience I had was with a gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard, the "auto-timing" setting would incorrectly set the ram timings, resulting in crashes/blue screens/black screen shutdowns. After a considerable amount of time, I had to manually set the timing, and then ran memtest to find all of the ram sticks were bad as a result of running them on auto timing for nearly a year on my first pc build. After setting the timings correctly instead of using auto timing, the crashes stopped but the ram was still corrupted with a multitude of different symptoms like downloading a file and then the file being corrupt after download completion. You should probably list the memory model # and motherboard model # so people can reference compatibility themselves before replying though.

You can use cpu-z to check the current memory timings (if you are able to be stable long enough in windows to do so), to compare to what the specs of the ram are supposed to be at, its how i initially realized my ram was incorrectly timed by auto timing.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html#version-history

Reactions: TommyG23
Nov 10, 2020
System Specs:
MoBo - Asus ROG Strix b-450-F (AMD chipset)
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8core
GPU - Radeon Sapphire RX580 8gb
RAM - XPG Z1 DDR4 3200mhz (4 8gb sticks)
PS - GameMax 750w modular PS
SSD - Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan 500gb
HDD - Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM

I have run memtest86 (free 4 pass) on all 4 units as well as all 4 individually with no errors. I ran a memory cleaner program and monitored memory usage, it never gets over 30% memory usage. And admittedly I foolishly replaced my motherboard with the exact same one, wasting $150 in the process. It is not my motherboard as the problem still persists.

I have not tried a fresh windows 10 install yet, I suppose that is my next step.

You have 4 sticks of RAM putting more stress on the memory controller. If you're running them at 3200MHz it could really be your issue. Ryzen 2700X should be able to run the RAM at 3200MHz with 2 sticks but with 4 sticks sometime you can't.

Try running the RAM XMP/DOCP profile at 2933MHz and see if the crash issues are still there.

Reactions: TommyG23
Nov 10, 2020
Update:
I reinstalled windows fresh as well as all drivers for it. the crash still persists. will try Namesia's suggestion now of running RAM at 2933mhz next.

Nov 10, 2020
Update:
I reinstalled windows fresh as well as all drivers for it. the crash still persists. will try Namesia's suggestion now of running RAM at 2933mhz next.
I tried going into my bios and set the mhz from auto to 2933. after saving/exiting... the computer wouldn't boot and I got setup screen. prompting me to go back to bios and return to factory defaults.

Nov 10, 2020
Ran Restoro to check for registry errors, got all errors cleaned up but system continues to crash when I play games or do anything even slightly graphic-intensive.
My GPU is not set to overclock or at least I haven't messed with any settings. Would GPU malfunction affect my memory? (still considering the yellow "memory" light on the MoBo.)
Event viewer points to Kernal Power which the internet says could possibly be a PSU problem. But if my PSU were acting up why does it only happen when I play games? Any advice on this matter?

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
yep, id stray away from used motherboards but i doubt its a factor. did you try a different outlet then the one you're trying to get the rig working on perhaps? I mean if you changed motherboard and psu, id probably be somewhat suspicious of the cpu at that point, but im not super experienced so I'd probably wait for someone more experienced to suggest something useful. No clue what motherboard model you are referencing, but some do have LED lights that will turn on without cpu installed indicating power, have you looked at the cpu for any visible damage by any chance, like bent pins etc?

I also doubt it has anything to do with the outlet you're using either as they all probably are properly grounded and giving enough power, but figured i'd throw that out there just incase. for more experienced people helping you, you can leave specs for them like model of motherboard, which cpu etc.
Ran Restoro to check for registry errors, got all errors cleaned up but system continues to crash when I play games or do anything even slightly graphic-intensive.
My GPU is not set to overclock or at least I haven't messed with any settings. Would GPU malfunction affect my memory? (still considering the yellow "memory" light on the MoBo.)
Event viewer points to Kernal Power which the internet says could possibly be a PSU problem. But if my PSU were acting up why does it only happen when I play games? Any advice on this matter?

If you are interested you can try numerous GPU tools that stress the GPU vram/memory cotroller. Gpumemtest, Video memory stress test, MemTestCL, and others like furmark which are more general stress tests for gpu not specifically just gpu memory. I suppose if you wanted to spend a few minutes you could run some of those and see if they cause the crash or show any errors. This might be a silly suggestion given you might have already done it, but make sure the GPU is fully seated. You mentioned the yellow light indicating memory problems, I would assume that is motherboard related, and you ran memtest with no errors; so keep the thread updated if you happen to find out the problem as I am curious what the end result will be. I doubt your memtest would come back clear if you had a problem with the memory modules or dimm slots. You could always reach out to ASUS support and go through their suggestions for diagnosing the board.

Nemesia's recommendation of setting lower clock was a good idea though, because on AMD specifications website it says Ryzen 7 2700x only supports up to 2933MHz at the very bottom of the specs page.
cited source:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x

It could potentially be a factor, and often underclocking ram doesn't always cause instability with systems but alot of people consider AMD alot more picky with ram compability then intel, from personal experience I couldn't say that its been my experience though.

Solution
Nov 10, 2020
I believe I may have found the source of my problem/the solution.
I downloaded MSI afterburner and monitored the temp of the gpu and it crashed once it got too hot.
So I set the auto fan controller specs and it seems to be able to run the games easily now.
My next step though will be installing more case fans to help with heat.

Reactions: AdamG

TRENDING THREADS