[SOLVED] Crash/reboot. I have exhausted all options, except CPU. I'm at my wits end.

May 3, 2020
Hi everyone, I am beside myself with frustration. Please let me know if you need more information.
Story in a nutshell:
In late 2017, I bought parts (new) and successfully assembled a system with the following specs:
  • CPU: Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)
  • MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code LGA1151 DDR4
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC2 GAMING, 8GB GDDR5
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular
  • HEATSINK/COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
  • CASE: MasterCase Pro 5 Mid-Tower Case
  • STORAGE: Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P512BW)
  • STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD (For some extra space)
Plot thickens:
About 18 months later, the computer fell into a boot-loop cycle. Eventually dicked with the BIOS and got it working again, but it began suddenly shutting down / restarting whenever I ran anything mildly CPU/GPU intensive (eg, video games).

After swapping out every component, one a time, over a full year (I financially couldn't afford to buy new components to test mine against), eventually I was able to determine that only the motherboard was at fault. My first guess was the GPU, but problem persisted despite using the onboard graphics. I conducted my "tests" of each component in similar ways.

Thicker than stew:
I eventually bought a brand-new motherboard (recently), and swapped out the Corsair AIO cooler.
Assembled successfully. Problem is persistent!
The only changes to previous specs:
  • MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Apex Motherboard
  • HEATSINK: Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans

Keen eyes will note I never replaced the CPU itself. The machine was dual-booting Windows and Linux, fine and dandy. But after playing a mildly intensive videogame, it just shutdown again, and restarted. >_< I am going out of my mind!!!

Today:
At this point I'm almost certain the IX Code motherboard was never at fault. The GPU was fully uninstalled during recreated crashes. The PSU has been tested (somewhat hastily) by a PC repair dude, free of charge which was a nice touch.

I've read nearly every thread to its anti-climactic end, here on Tom's and over at asus ROG bulletin board. Nobody ever bothers to post what/if/how the problem was or how it was fixed. The only "success" story I've found was they RMA'd either the board or the CPU, and ostensibly that worked once for one dude online.

Currently, after dicking with BIOS too many times, I'm stuck at Q-Code 00 which is listed as "unused" in the manual.

Please, I have tried literally everything except the proper solution, including the hairdryer trick to unstick it from the cold boot bug. Note: Booting is NOT the problem. The problem is the machine shuts off whenever I try to play anything except solitaire. (That's exaggeration, but it don't feel like it!)

Help me, internet, you're my only hope!

Thank you for reading this, btw!
Sincerely yours,
moisto

Solution
Was the system overclocked? Did you check temps? Did not see that you did a clean Windows setup on it, did you? Sudden shutdowns when system is under load, say in gaming, is usually a power supply or video card issue, if you overclocked the CPU it could be a CPU issue. Motherboard and RAM would be after those.
Was the system overclocked? Did you check temps? Did not see that you did a clean Windows setup on it, did you? Sudden shutdowns when system is under load, say in gaming, is usually a power supply or video card issue, if you overclocked the CPU it could be a CPU issue. Motherboard and RAM would be after those.

Last edited:
Solution
May 3, 2020
Was the system overclocked?
Hi, thanks for writing!
No. In spite of both motherboards being geared towards overclockers (especially the Apex), I never fiddled with those settings much. Actually, the default "ASUS Optimal Settings" enforce a bit of CPU overclocking, of sorts; My only edits here were to bring it back down to room temperature settings, more or less. Default boot would POST at 07% OC, presumably just slight adjustments to the CPU and hardware configuration, I think.

Did you check temps? Did not see that you did a clean Windows setup on it, did you? Sudden shutdowns when system is under load, say in gaming, is usually a power supply or video card issue, if you overclocked the CPU it could be a CPU issue. Motherboard and RAM would be after those.
I did/do check the temps, during the first build (in 2017) I used programs like cpu-id and hwmonitor in the beginning when doing more stressful stuff (somewhat ashamed to admit I dabbled in a bit of cryptocurrency mining, nothing much however) and during gameplay.

The CPU and GPU temps seemed fine, but towards the end when everything quit on me, I checked them again and the GPU never went too high, but eventually I was dealing with a CPU that was reaching 85-C while it sat idling in BIOS. That was when I sprung for a new heatsink, figuring my AIO cooler had bit the dust. I do believe it has.

(I'd like to mention here, that properly installing the Noctua NH-D15 onto your CPU is a pain in the ane -- the thing is a beast, and if you don't clamp it on perfectly, or if your newly applied thermal paste lifts for a moment and sets down slightly misaligned, it won't transfer any heat and you'll be stuck in bios watching your cpu temp go off the charts and force a shutdown)

I don't think I used XMP settings for my RAM with the IX Code, but it was actually a lot easier for the Apex to accept the 2 sticks by way of pressing the MemOK button, which helps auto-tune (not like T-Pain) the RAM settings, in my case it enabled XMP and filled in the deets. (Note to anyone learning from my mistakes: After hitting MemOK you should reflash the bios to the latest version)

As for my installs, Windows and Linux were both clean, new partitions and boot(ed) fine.

I'm beginning to suspect the power supply, or its connectors now, but PLEASE continue to send me advice guys! I'm learning (a lot) as I go here. The last computer i built myself from parts, was about 15 years ago. :)

Thank you again for your reply!
Fondly,
-moisto

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Moisto - I am having the same issue, and interestingly enough, I'm running an EVGA 750 G2 Gold Modular.

Tempted to RMA it, but worried as I haven't ruled out MB or GPU. Hopefully you have more luck than I do, I will follow along.

Reactions: moisto
May 3, 2020
Moisto - I am having the same issue, and interestingly enough, I'm running an EVGA 750 G2 Gold Modular.

Tempted to RMA it, but worried as I haven't ruled out MB or GPU. Hopefully you have more luck than I do, I will follow along.

Hi dolokhov, sorry to hear it! I've ordered a new PSU (EVGA 750 G5, thing was pricy but they all are) so as soon as it arrives I'll swap it out and see what happens. I might try it with a different surge protector too, since apparently those can crap out and then power fluctuations can cause our problem.

The PSU won't be here until May 18th, but unlike everyone else who promises to follow up -- i WILL report back! Hopefully it will work. Good luck brother, stay safe!

Moist regards,
moisto

Reactions: dolokhov
May 3, 2020
REPORT:
The PSU arrived early!
Machine boots well, and seems to be in perfect working order! I've been playing games at their highest-ish settings, played Dying Light for a few hours straight last night without any issues.

I don't wish to jinx myself or anything, but hell -- this ticket is resolved.

Good luck to anyone who finds their way here. Keep at it, don't dismiss anything.

TAKEAWAY:
Replace your PSU ( dolokhov, keep in touch yeh?)

Sincerely yours,
- moisto

TRENDING THREADS