Crash/Screen issue.

Furified

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I'm having a little problem with my Desktop where if I try to run any high end game the screen flickers off then seconds later the computer just turns off. When it turns back on Vista doesn't even recognize it as an error and just assumes a regular boot-up.
No "Would you like to run your bullshit OS in safe mode" etc. etc.
I'm also having problems where the screen will occasionally (and randomly) turn off and go into sleep mode, and whenever I try to turn the screen back on, it just goes back into sleep mode. (prompting me to restart) Hasn't happened though since I updated my power options.
I tried CS:S and so far no crash, but on SC2 it happens quite frequently. At first I thought my CPU(Q6600 clocked at 2.4ghz) was bottle-necking (OKAY NOW I'M GONNA TELL YOU THE NAME OF THE GPU) my 4850, because after I toned down all the settings (On SC2) I got through an averagely long match without a crash, but then it crashed for HL2, which, well, has never had this problem before (and isn't that hard to run), so it's new.
I did a CPU check, they weren't over-heated, and a stress test, which was normal, no problem, so I'm assuming it's my GPU. I talked to a friend and his reply was "well it's because it's ATI," which didn't help, but was rather lulzy, but besides the point. I'm doubting it's the PSU because the computer runs absolutely normal doing anything else along with basic gaming, and yes I updated my drives and have done countless virus (malware, wareware, virusware, whateverware) tests, etc. etc. which leaves the Mobo, (doubtfully) the HD (HAHAHAHAHA) or the GPU.
If you want to know about the mobo, I can't really say, but you can probably expect a generic HP mobo. Yes, pre-built computer, pathetic. I've had so many problems with this POS, and am never buying a pre-built Ever again.

So, thoughts?

It should be enough unless it is defective and in that case I would load speed fan or pcwizard and check your voltages. If the volts on the 12v source is below 11.35 (the lowest it should go before crash) then the psu is bad or not enough.

Furified

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009

the 12v source is 12.13

Well there you go you got a hotdog 4850. :pt1cable: If its new turn up the fan and if it has been around in use for a while then clean out the dust and turn up the fan. If nothing helps then replace the stock compound with arctic silver 5 which goes a long ways and last for years.

Furified

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009

How do I turn up the fan?
It was cleaned out yesterday by the way, and like a week ago before that, and I still had the issue. o.o

Get riva tuner it will do the job plus it can do other things as well. There are a few guides how to use it but what you do is click On the first little box below a drop down menu next to the bar that has the name of your card and click that has a addon card icon and once you do that you should have a window pop up that has two or more tabs. The second tab is self explanatory. Once you have the right tab select enable low-level fan control and don't reboot and select fixed once you do that turn it up to 70%. If it sounds like a 747 live with it.