[SOLVED] Crash to black screen, pc locks up, stays powered

dalash56

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Hey all. I've spent the last 8 hours diagnosing this to no avail. My computer crashes with no warning, doesn't blue screen, just goes to black. If I'm watching a YouTube video, I can still hear the video. Also, if I hard reset my pc via the switch, when it boots back up the graphics card won't output a signal. I have to literally remove it and plug it back in to start sending a signal again. Another weird thing is one of the three fans on my Graphics card ramps up to 100% when it black screens. so that made me think at first it was the GPU overheating. So I reapplied thermal paste to the GPU. No dice. So I bought a new liquid AIO thinking it was the CPU since while I was running 3D mark, it crashed right at the CPU test. Still no dice. It doesn't crash at any specific timing of the system being on. It doesn't crash specifically while playing a game. It can be anywhere. First time it did it I was watching a YouTube video. It's happened about 6 times over the last 24 hours. I have completely rebuilt my pc today trying to figure this out. Reapplied GPU thermal paste, bought a whole new liquid cpu cooler, reflashed the bios and reinstalled my display drivers. It's not overheating, I doubt it's my driver's. Could it be malware? I just don't understand.
EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 No OC
i7-6700k no OC
MSI Z270 a pro mobo
Windows 10 on 850evo
Brand new h100i that I didn't need to buy

EDIT: Event log indicates something "Critical" under system. "source" is kernal-power and "event id" is 41. I believe its my power supply. Thats odd to me though because its a 750 Supernova G2 Gold. My last EVGA psu lasted 6 years lol. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Here is the log under that event:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 1/28/2021 9:38:42 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-6T2UUGS
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>6</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-01-29T02:38:42.961564100Z" />
<EventRecordID>77198</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-6T2UUGS</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">6</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">132563614411497411</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">3221225684</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">1</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Last edited:
Solution
to test psu use occt for about 10 min take note of voltages before and on test you could also use hwinfo to compare voltages fans speed and temp in system .

samsungpos

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
Thanks. I've downloaded those but what tests should we be running and what should we be looking at in the logs? I'm not very knowledgeable about this so the numbers don't mean anything to me. :(

TRENDING THREADS