Crash to Black Screen under load

JonnyW

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Recently whilst playing games (notably CS:GO and Minecraft) I have been experiencing sudden crashes to a black screen. At this point my computer is unresponsive and my only option is to restart via the power button, however for a few seconds I can still talk to people on Skype. Also note that the computer will go through "phases" of crashing. An example of this may be that it randomly crashes on CS:GO, I restart and load up the game again, and it will immediately crash again. This may happen several times before the problem goes away, and then not again for maybe 2 weeks or so. Additionally no crash dump file is produced from such a crash.

Of course this came across to me immediately to be a temperature issue, so i proceeded to dust my PC out and check temps under load. Maximum temperatures were 55C on CPU and 80-85C on GPU (build details below) under load, as checked on HW monitor. Next I thought it may be some sort of driver error due to still being able to hear Skype, however any driver updates/backdates proved ineffective.

My current build is as follows:

CPU:Q6600@3.0GHz (Cooled by hyper212 evo)
GPU:Gtx570SC (factory clocked)
RAM:4Gb Samsung
MB:Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G
PSU: Corsair TX650
HD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Note that I have tested with the CPU at the stock voltage/clock speed and have experienced the same problems.

Im coming to you guys since I have pretty much run out of ideas and solutions that I could find on the internet and was wondering if you can help me with this problem. Thanks for any replies in advance.

- Jonny

JonnyW

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I dont have another GPU to test with, a shame as that would be ideal to rule it out. However Ill give those both a try tomorrow and see if I can induce the crash. Also, do you think it would also be useful to do a memtest?